Dell joins forces with Dropbox to boost hosted storage for enterprises
The company backs up Dropbox for Business with its own security product
IDG News Service - Dropbox is getting help from Dell to persuade enterprises to pick its hosted storage and file-sharing platform, and also to make it more secure.
Take advantage of enterprises' growing interest in and acceptance for personal cloud-based storage services, vendors like Dropbox have been partnering with large telecom operators and software vendors.
On Thursday, Dell announced that its global sales team will from now on sell the business edition of Dropbox. The news follows an announcement from Box, which focuses on SMBs and large enterprises, that it partnered with Australian operator Telstra and British mobile operator EE last week. Dropbox and Box are still new names for CIOs and working with larger partners gives them both a stamp of approval as well as a larger sales force.
Dell is combining Dropbox for Business with the Cloud Edition of its Data Protection suite to let employees use hosted storage at work while at the same time providing IT departments with more control.
The Cloud Edition was announced in March, and offers features such as encryption, usage monitoring and the ability to create white lists of email addresses that users are allowed to use for file sharing. In addition to Dropbox, it is also compatible with Box and Microsoft's Skydrive.
This year, Dropbox has worked to improve its enterprise product. The company announced last month a new version that comes with the ability to better separate work-related and personal files and also allows administrators to remotely delete folders.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts