Dell, Red Hat team to sell OpenStack cloud platform
Dell building high-end system to run Red Hat's OpenStack implemention
IDG News Service - Dell will start selling systems early next year that run Red Hat's version of the OpenStack open-source cloud platform.
The offering will be tailored for large enterprises that wish to set up private clouds, said Radhesh Balakrishnan, Red Hat general manager for virtualization and OpenStack.
Dell announced the partnership Thursday at the company's Dell World enterprise users conference in Austin, Texas.
Dell is the second major enterprise systems company to use OpenStack as the basis for a line of enterprise private cloud products. Earlier this week, Hewlett-Packard also announced that the newest version of its own CloudSystem private cloud systems run the company's HP Cloud OS, which is based on OpenStack.
Both announcements suggest that OpenStack may be ready for enterprise use, or at least coming close to enterprise readiness.
In a recently posted commentary, Gartner research director Alessandro Perilli said that the OpenStack project lacks clarity about its goals, and OpenStack vendors lack transparency around their business models. As a result, enterprises should still be wary of OpenStack, Perilli argued.
"There are definitely parts of OpenStack platform that are still have a ways to go in terms of maturing," Balakrishnan said at DellWorld, pointing by way of an example to its still nascent technologies for offering networking as a service. The core parts of the software, however, are operationally solid and Red Hat has worked to bring these components to the level of an "enterprise grade implementation," he said.
"We fundamentally believe that OpenStack will be the new data-center fabric of the future," Balakrishnan said.
Dell and Red Hat will work together to engineer the system, which will be built using Dell hardware and the next version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform. Dell did not delve into details about the possible hardware configurations, though the package will use Red Hat's Linux OpenStack Platform 4, which is currently in beta.
This Red Hat software package includes the latest version of OpenStack, named Havana, as well as Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Hypervisor and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.5.
Dell's Cloud Services will sell the system, which will be implemented by the unit's Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform practice.
The offering will be among the first products of a newly expanded partnership between Dell and Red Hat. Dell and Red Hat have been long-time partners. Dell has been using Red Hat software in its own packaged systems for 14 years.
Dell and Red Hat will also work together on a number of projects to further improve OpenStack. They will work on OpenStack Neutron, a project to bring Software-Defined Networking capabilities to OpenStack, allowing the platform to offer networking as a service. They will also collaborate on Ceilometer, a project to improve OpenStack instrumentation for monitoring and billing purposes.
- IDC: Eliminate Shortcomings in Your Cloud Architecture with Smarter Storage This white paper demonstrates how IBM Smarter Storage provides customers with an ideal, proven platform for cloud computing. IBM has a differentiated storage...
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Managed Private Cloud Protect and manage your entire enterprise continuously with Code42's simple, efficient Managed Private Cloud. Simply plug it in and rely on our data...
- Enterprise Cloud Deployment Strategies A powerful and highly flexible solution, CrashPlan lets organizations select their preferred cloud deployment strategy, resting assured all strategies meet or exceed rigorous...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT...
- Leveraging the Cloud for Dev/Test This video discusses some of the key considerations that IT organizations should take into account when moving test and development projects to the... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts