U.S. trade agency to review ruling in patent dispute between Nokia and HTC
A review could lead to an import ban on infringing products
IDG News Service - The U.S. International Trade Commission will review a preliminary decision that found that HTC infringed on Nokia patents.
The ITC said it will review in part its September ruling that found that the Taiwanese smartphone maker infringed two Nokia patents. The infringed patents cover a method for receiving and transmitting radio signals, and a method for eliminating unwanted signals.
The review will look at several parts of both patents, the ITC said in a document dated Monday. It will for instance review the findings on claim construction and infringement, it said.
The preliminary ruling prompted HTC and Qualcomm to start reworking a radio chip for the HTC One smartphone in order to avoid a U.S. ban on imports of patent-infringing technology, according to an October report.A
The HTC One is HTC's flagship phone but might be replaced within a few months. In another patent lawsuit in early December pitting Nokia against HTC, a U.K. judge estimated that HTC would likely replace the One with a new flagship model between February and March 2014.
After the ITC has completed its review, it could issue an order resulting in an import ban on infringing products, it said.
Nokia and HTC did not immediately reply to a request for comment.
Loek is Amsterdam Correspondent and covers online privacy, intellectual property, open-source and online payment issues for the IDG News Service. Follow him on Twitter at @loekessers or email tips and comments to email@example.com
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!