Dell to add Chromebook 11, looks beyond Windows and Android
Dell will initially ship Chromebook 11 to educational institutions, models coming to consumers later
IDG News Service - Dell said it would join a growing market of thin-and-light Chrome OS laptops with the new Chromebook 11, but the system will initially be available only to educational institutions.
The company did not provide specifications for the laptop, but in an email said more Chromebooks will be announced for "budget-strapped" small-and-medium businesses and consumers in the coming months.
Dell did not provide a shipping date for the Chromebook 11.
PC makers and Google are promoting Chromebooks, which are low-cost laptops for those who do most of their computing on the Web. Dell already offers Android tablets starting at $149, and laptops and tablets based on Windows.
A new wave of Chromebooks hit the market in October from Acer, Hewlett-Packard and Samsung. Laptops with 11.6-in. screens include Acer's $199 Chromebook C720, Hewlett-Packard and Google's $279 Chromebook 11, and the $249 Samsung Chromebook. Hewlett-Packard also sells a $299 Chromebook 14 with a 14-inch screen. Acer's $299 Chromebook C720P, which started shipping a few days ago, has an 11.6-inch touchscreen.
Chromebooks have processor options of either ARM or Intel's Celeron, which is based on a Haswell microarchitecture. Depending on the screen size and processor, Chromebooks can offer more than six hours of battery life. Many Chromebooks have minimal storage of just 16GB, but come with two years of 100GB of free cloud storage on Google Drive.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts