HP adds Haswell to new EliteBook laptops
HP has made the EliteBook Folio 1040 G1 thinner, but retained serviceability for in-house repairs
IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard has added Intel's Haswell processors to a pair of new EliteBook business laptops, while making them slimmer.
HP on Tuesday announced the EliteBook Folio 1040 G1, which has a 14-inch screen and is one of company's thinnest ultrabooks, HP said. The company also announced the EliteBook Revolve G2 laptop, which has a convertible design based on a swiveling screen.
The EliteBook Folio G1 is 15.9 millimeters thick, making it around 16 percent thinner than its predecessor, the EliteBook Folio 9470M, said Aaron Slessinger, notebook category manager at HP. The laptop is also 7.3 percent lighter than its predecessor.
The addition of Intel's fourth-generation Core processors, code-named Haswell, adds longer battery life and better graphics to the laptop, Slessinger said. HP has measured battery life at around 10 hours.
Due to the thin size, many ultrabooks are sealed and difficult to service. But the EliteBook Folio 1040 G1 allows for some repairs and battery replacements to be done in-house, Slessinger said. That is important for businesses that don't want to send laptops back for repairs.
The laptop can be connected to a display through a DisplayPort port, and supports the dock used for the 9470M ultrabook. The EliteBook Folio 1040 is priced starting at US$1,299 and by default will have a 720p screen, though options for full high definition and touch screens are also available.
HP also bought Haswell processors to its new EliteBook Revolve G2 laptop, which has a convertible design with a swiveling screen that can be placed on the keyboard. The laptop offers 10 hours of battery life, which is an improvement over the 8.25 hours of battery offered by its predecessor, introduced in December last year. The Revolve G2 will start at $1,364.
There's still a demand for convertible laptops, as some users want their screen attached to the base, Slessinger said. There are other HP products available with detachable screens, Slessinger said.
"We're still learning about convertibles, detachables and where they are going to go," Slessinger said.
The EliteBook laptops will have optional 4G LTE. Release dates and availability information for the laptops were not provided by HP.
HP also introduced a Classmate Notebook laptop with Windows 8.1 for the education market. The rugged laptop, which will run on Intel's Celeron N2000 processor, will only be sold in channels directly to educational institutions. The laptop's price was not provided by HP.
The Classmate laptop has Intel's education suite of learning software and collaboration tools. It's made of heavy plastic that will allow the laptop to take some bangs and bumps.
The Classmate is an attempt by HP to diversity its offerings, Slessinger said. HP also offers Chromebooks for the educational market.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts