Online backup service SugarSync moves to paid-only model
No longer offers 5GB of free capacity; Online backup site plans to release new features next year
Computerworld - SugarSync, an online service for data back up, file sync and sharing, Tuesday announced that it will transition to a paid-only service model beginning on February 8, 2014.
Previously, SugarSync offered users 5GB of free capacity. Users can still try the SugarSync service with a 90-day 5GB trial or a 30-day trial with higher capacities of 60GB or more.
SugarSync said the new policy will allow the company to further focus on "updates and improvements that better meet the evolving needs of its consumer and business subscribers."
"There are many companies in this space that are giving away free storage However, most of these companies will not be viable. We are already in a solid financial position and this shift will further strengthen our business," said SugarSync CEO Mike Grossman.
The change will let SugarSync better serve its "loyal" existing customers through new service enhancements.
SugarSync plans to release redesigned apps and additional features in the coming year.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Cloud Storage in Computerworld's Cloud Storage Topic Center.
- Rethinking Backup and Recovery As enterprises continue to transform their data centers, and virtualization plays an increasing role in their IT infrastructures, the way data is backed...
- Archiving benefits more than just email Many organizations assume archiving is mostly related to email and compliance; however, archiving is associated with a wide range of business improvements.
- Server and System Admins Challenged to Keep Up with Storage Explosion Read this whitepaper to learn how administrators are leveraging their existing skills to simplify the management of storage and servers.
- Administrators need an agile platform to usher the new era of enterprise storage Read this whitepaper and learn how administrators are keeping up by guiding their enterprises toward new, software-defined storage platforms that simplify and unify...
- Vblock™ Specialized System for SAP HANA® Deploy SAP HANA® fast and with low risk. VCE brings together all of the necessary components for SAP HANA® into a single, standardized...
- The Value of Symantec NetBackup Appliances In this video, Symantec's Shelley Schmokel, Principal Product Manager for NetBackup Appliances, talks about the NetBackup Integrated Appliances and how they deliver enterprise-class... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.