Here's what Facebook users were liking and linking to in 2013
This year, according to Facebookers, was all about the royal baby, the Pope, Nelson Mandela and relationships
Computerworld - Facebook users spent much of 2013 talking about the new pope, elections around the world and, of course, relationships.
Facebook released its 2013 Year in Review over the weekend after measuring posts on the social network, along with counting check-ins, hashtags and likes.
After the new pope, Facebook users talked a lot about elections -- in the U.S. as well as in other parts of the world.
And who doesn't love a baby? Facebook users sure do. The third most talked about topic on the social site this year was Kate Middleton and Prince William's newborn son, George.
Margaret Thatcher, the former prime minister of the United Kingdom who died in April, was another top topic on Facebook, as was Nelson Mandela, the former president of South Africa and a South African anti-apartheid revolutionary. Mandela died just last week, but already ranks as the 10th most-discussed topic for 2013.
Wondering where people were most likely to check in from in the U.S. during the year? That would be Disneyland in California, according to the Facebook stats.
When it comes to life events shared on Facebook, users were all about the relationships - adding one, getting engaged or getting married. Oh, and there was a lot of chatter about ending relationships, too.
Users also were eager to discuss their travels, moves, new babies, pets, piercings and the loss of a loved one.
"Conversations happening all over Facebook offer a unique snapshot of the world, and this year was no different," wrote Robert D'Onofrio, Facebook data editor, in a blog post. "Every day, people post about the topics and milestones that are important to them -- everything from announcing an engagement, to discussing breaking news, or even celebrating a favorite athlete or sports team."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
- Facebook launches redesign with a bit of the old, a bit of the new
- Facebook eyes solar-powered drone company
- Facebook coughs up $19B for WhatsApp's younger users
- Facebook buying WhatsApp for $16 billion
- Facebook's birthday present: A look back at your social life
- At 10, Facebook strives not to be your granny's social network
- Facebook sees apps in its future ... lots of apps
- Facebook hijacks Trending feature from rival Twitter
- Facebook to kill off one kind of ad some users hated
- Facebook uses a seasoned Chef to keep servers simmering
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Review: Box beats Dropbox - and all the rest - for business Box trumps Dropbox, Engyte, Citrix ShareFile, EMC Syncplicity, and OwnCloud with rich mix of file sync, file sharing, user management, deep reporting and...
- Analyst Report-Mixed All Flash Arrays Delivers Safer Higher Performance What is the impact of an all-flash array with enterprise features and reliability on the mainstream data center? In the mainstream environment, storage...
- Embracing Flash Storage Exec Brief Flash storage can deliver impressive performance, especially for random I/O, by eliminating rotational and seek latencies that are common in all hard disk...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Social Media White Papers |