Xamarin tool lets C# developers write Google Glass apps
Google's recently released Glass development kit is added to Windows-based development tool set
IDG News Service - Xamarin has integrated the sneak peek version of Google's GDK (Glass Development Kit) into its cross-platform development tools, allowing C# developers to create apps for Google Glass.
The GDK sneak peek was unveiled by Google at a recent event. It allows developers to write apps to run on Glass. Existing apps for Glass are Web-based and can't be as tightly integrated with Glass as apps created using the GDK.
For Xamarin developers who have access to the GDK, the new APIs and a sample app can be downloaded free from Xamarin's component store, the company said in a blog post Thursday.
The GDK is an Android SDK add-on that contains APIs for Glass-specific features. Google has made this early version of the development kit available to developers in the hopes they'll test it and help the company find bugs.
Google has done a great job of putting together documentation for the sneak peek, according to Xamarin. But the company underlines that it isn't even a developer preview, so developers should be prepared for things to change before Google puts out a final version.
Google is currently planning to release the first version of Glass sometime next year.
Xamarin's tools also let developers create apps for iOS and Mac OS X using C#.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Gartner 2013 ALM Magic Quadrant Report This Gartner Group report is a must-read to gain a better understanding of the automated software quality assurance market today.
- Finding agility in the age of applications This white paper reveals how to extend Agile throughout the enterprise and make your business more nimble.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- 3 Keys to Secure BYOD Deployment The new Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) environment presents challenges for IT managers and business leaders. This paper discusses how IT managers can address those challenges,...
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10...
- HP DevOps KnowledgeVault This interactive resource focuses on the evolution taking place in the world of software development, specifically the Agile development framework, and the gap... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.