BlackBerry upgrades BES, boosts Android, iOS management
Version 10.2 of the BES management platform gives IT staff more flexibility when managing iOS and Android-based devices
IDG News Service - BlackBerry has upgraded its management platform Enterprise Server 10 (BES10) with more features for managing Android and iOS smartphones and has also improved scalability to lower overall costs.
BlackBerry's problems are well documented, but the company is soldiering on. On Monday, the company posted an open letter from CEO John Chen that emphasized its renewed focus on the enterprise market.
One of the key products in this effort is BES10, with version 10.2 released on Tuesday. To make it more competitive in a cutthroat sector, BlackBerry has extended its cross-platform support.
Enterprises can now activate iOS and Android-based devices using what the company calls "true BYOD mode," where management is confined to the Secure Work Space container only. This feature is a good fit for environments where full mobile device management control for iOS and Android devices is not preferred, according to BlackBerry.
Secure Work Space started shipping in June and adds a managed container to protect corporate data and applications. It now works with smartphones running iOS7 and Android 4.3.
Management of iOS and Android devices can also be automated using BlackBerry Web Services (BWS). By exposing BWS APIs, Blackberry will enable others to develop applications that automate and combine various administrative tasks for the management of iOS and Android devices.
BlackBerry has also worked to improve BES scalability: the new version can support 100,000 devices per domain, with any mix of BlackBerry, iOS and Android devices. That reduces the number of servers and resources required for large scale deployments, which, in turn, lowers costs, according to the company.
BlackBerry has also added a self-service portal that allows users to perform device management tasks on their own, which could result in fewer calls to IT. Users can view and manage all their devices, view device details, and set activation passwords, according to BlackBerry.
Morgan Stanley, Boeing, Aneurin Bevan University Health Board and Secusmart are participating in the early adopter and beta programs, and are running version 10.2 in a test environment, according to BlackBerry.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts