Apple buys Topsy for at least $200M to get deep access to Twitter, report says
Topsy analyzes social data across the Web, including all of Twitter's stream
IDG News Service - Apple has acquired Topsy, a social media analytics company that analyzes a range of data from Twitter, according to a Wall Street Journal report.
Apple paid more than $200 million for Topsy, the Journal said. The company provides a range of tools to make sense of data across the social Web and use it to divine consumer sentiment. For example, marketers can use Topsy's tools to measure the success of ad campaigns, identify thoughts and opinions over time, and search and analyze hashtags across years of online chatter.
Topsy is one of only several companies with access to Twitter's so-called "firehose" -- the full stream of tweets posted to the service. Other competing companies with access include DataSift and Gnip, which analyze and resell the data to customers, the Journal noted.
Topsy has a huge amount of Twitter data at its fingertips. Earlier this year the company announced that it had indexed Twitter's complete archive of public tweets dating back to 2006. That data could let Apple make better use of online social activity in its product development, as companies such as Facebook do now.
Neither Apple nor Topsy could be reached for comment.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Who's afraid of the big (data) bad wolf? Survive the big data storm by getting ahead of integration and governance functional requirements This paper provides a detailed review of the best practices clients should consider before embarking on their big data integration projects.
- Understanding big data so you can act with confidence Automating information integration and governance and employing it at the point of data creation helps organizations boost confidence in their big data.
- Integrating and Governing Big Data The end-to-end information integration capabilities of IBM® InfoSphere® Information Server are designed to help organizations understand, cleanse, monitor, transform and deliver data-as well...
- The MDM advantage: Creating insight from big data To help enterprises create trusted insight as the volume, velocity and variety of data continue to explode, IBM offers several solutions designed to...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts