Apple buys Topsy for at least $200M to get deep access to Twitter, report says
Topsy analyzes social data across the Web, including all of Twitter's stream
IDG News Service - Apple has acquired Topsy, a social media analytics company that analyzes a range of data from Twitter, according to a Wall Street Journal report.
Apple paid more than $200 million for Topsy, the Journal said. The company provides a range of tools to make sense of data across the social Web and use it to divine consumer sentiment. For example, marketers can use Topsy's tools to measure the success of ad campaigns, identify thoughts and opinions over time, and search and analyze hashtags across years of online chatter.
Topsy is one of only several companies with access to Twitter's so-called "firehose" -- the full stream of tweets posted to the service. Other competing companies with access include DataSift and Gnip, which analyze and resell the data to customers, the Journal noted.
Topsy has a huge amount of Twitter data at its fingertips. Earlier this year the company announced that it had indexed Twitter's complete archive of public tweets dating back to 2006. That data could let Apple make better use of online social activity in its product development, as companies such as Facebook do now.
Neither Apple nor Topsy could be reached for comment.
- Automating Cost Transparency By making all of the costs of running IT transparent, IT can change the way business units consume IT resources, drive down total...
- Forrester: The Business Technology Value Scorecard The "Business Technology Value Scorecard" paper proposes four categories of KPIs as the basis for a common language of metrics between IT leaders...
- Cisco Case Study Before Cisco could effectively manage the business of IT, the company needed to improve the way it accounted for the cost and performance...
- IT Financial Metrics Primer This Executive Brief details financial and non-financial metrics that IT financial managers must use to foster conversations with business stakeholders.
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the...
- Fundamentals of the Unified Communications BE 6000 The Cisco Business Edition 6000 delivers the superior performance, system redundancy, and broad application integration you need. Well suited for businesses with 100... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!