US Army settles unlicensed software claim for $50M
Apptricity said its software was used in relief efforts in Haiti and in the Middle East
IDG News Service - The U.S. Army will pay Apptricity, a supply chain and financial software developer, $50 million to settle a copyright infringement claim that it used but didn't pay for thousands of copies of logistics management software.
Apptricity, of Irving, Texas, said it settled with the Army and the U.S. Department of Justice for a fraction of the software's value. The Army was accused of not paying for 100 server and 9,000 device licenses.
The company claimed its software worked "so well that it went viral," according to a news release. It was used in relief efforts following the January 2010 earthquake in Haiti and in the Middle East to track the movement of equipment and supplies.
The settlement, reached through alternative dispute resolution proceedings, includes licenses for ongoing use of the software by the Army.
The company's technology was picked by the Army in 2004 to be integrated into its Transportation Coordinators' Automated Information for Movements System II (TC-AIMS II).
The software tracks equipment in real time rather than just points on a map across different time zones, Apptricity said. It can show an item's location in a specific compartment on a plane or vehicle while traveling en-route. A dashboard shows the location of goods and generates reports.
The Department of Justice could not be immediately reached for comment.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts