Toshiba offers to buy failed SSD maker OCZ
The supplier of enterprise SSDs is about to file for bankruptcy
IDG News Service - Toshiba has offered to buy the assets of OCZ Technology, a solid-state drive manufacturer on the verge of bankruptcy.
The deal would see Toshiba acquire most of the San Jose, California-based company as part of a deal with the local bankruptcy court. Toshiba will only acquire OCZ if it can maintain the value of its business and keep its employees.
OCZ has had problems acquiring flash memory chips for its drives and that has been affecting business.
Revenue in its most recent quarter was $33.5 million, down from $88.6 million in the same period a year earlier. But despite the sharply lower revenue, its losses fell from $26.1 million from $33.2 million a year earlier.
An acquisition by Toshiba would help solve OCZ's flash chip problem as Toshiba is one of the world's largest manufacturers of flash memory chips.
"The parties have substantially completed negotiations on an asset purchase agreement and OCZ believes all the material terms have been agreed to," OCZ said in a statement.
OCZ said it will file a bankruptcy petition "shortly."
It also said Hercules Technology Growth Capital has taken control of its bank accounts. OCZ has a loan agreement with Hercules but is not in compliance with parts of the agreement.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- Data Center Projects: Project Management The project management model described in this paper is a framework to show essential characteristics that must be considered in any implementation of...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology IBM is a leader in Gartner Inc's Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology. Read the full report to learn about IBM.
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!