Toshiba offers to buy failed SSD maker OCZ
The supplier of enterprise SSDs is about to file for bankruptcy
IDG News Service - Toshiba has offered to buy the assets of OCZ Technology, a solid-state drive manufacturer on the verge of bankruptcy.
The deal would see Toshiba acquire most of the San Jose, California-based company as part of a deal with the local bankruptcy court. Toshiba will only acquire OCZ if it can maintain the value of its business and keep its employees.
OCZ has had problems acquiring flash memory chips for its drives and that has been affecting business.
Revenue in its most recent quarter was $33.5 million, down from $88.6 million in the same period a year earlier. But despite the sharply lower revenue, its losses fell from $26.1 million from $33.2 million a year earlier.
An acquisition by Toshiba would help solve OCZ's flash chip problem as Toshiba is one of the world's largest manufacturers of flash memory chips.
"The parties have substantially completed negotiations on an asset purchase agreement and OCZ believes all the material terms have been agreed to," OCZ said in a statement.
OCZ said it will file a bankruptcy petition "shortly."
It also said Hercules Technology Growth Capital has taken control of its bank accounts. OCZ has a loan agreement with Hercules but is not in compliance with parts of the agreement.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!