Toshiba offers to buy failed SSD maker OCZ
The supplier of enterprise SSDs is about to file for bankruptcy
IDG News Service - Toshiba has offered to buy the assets of OCZ Technology, a solid-state drive manufacturer on the verge of bankruptcy.
The deal would see Toshiba acquire most of the San Jose, California-based company as part of a deal with the local bankruptcy court. Toshiba will only acquire OCZ if it can maintain the value of its business and keep its employees.
OCZ has had problems acquiring flash memory chips for its drives and that has been affecting business.
Revenue in its most recent quarter was $33.5 million, down from $88.6 million in the same period a year earlier. But despite the sharply lower revenue, its losses fell from $26.1 million from $33.2 million a year earlier.
An acquisition by Toshiba would help solve OCZ's flash chip problem as Toshiba is one of the world's largest manufacturers of flash memory chips.
"The parties have substantially completed negotiations on an asset purchase agreement and OCZ believes all the material terms have been agreed to," OCZ said in a statement.
OCZ said it will file a bankruptcy petition "shortly."
It also said Hercules Technology Growth Capital has taken control of its bank accounts. OCZ has a loan agreement with Hercules but is not in compliance with parts of the agreement.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts