Box buys tech to let admins better track, protect stored content
Box says acquired dLoop tools will be added soon to its storage services
IDG News Service - Cloud storage vendor Box has acquired the technology behind a company called dLoop, which it will use to add more controls that give enterprises more features for protecting their content.
Enterprises have become increasingly interested in storage services offered by the likes Box, Citrix Systems, Dropbox, Egnyte and EMC, which lets users store and share content online. Enterprise interest has been a boon for the vendors, but has also put more demands on especially security and management.
Box's ability to protect and manage content is already one of its strong points, according to a recent review in Infoworld, which rated Box as better for enterprise users than a number of other online storage services.
With the addition of dLoop's technology, the company wants to add more features to help set it apart from the competition. The terms of the deal were not disclosed, but dLoop co-founder Divya Jain has joined Box.
Her job will be to lead Box's content analysis and data classification efforts, Box said in a blog post.
To put in place rules that decide what users can do with content, IT staff first have to find the content, and this is where dLoop's technology comes in. It uses machine-learning to help discover documents that are normally unreachable by search or pattern matching solutions, according to Box. Once it has integrated the dLoop technology, Box will automatically be able to find the content most relevant to enterprise administrators, the company said.
Exactly how this will manifest itself remains to be seen, but the first new features based on the acquisition will be announced shortly, it said.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2014 Healthcare Data Management Survey Summary This report provides insights into how much information Healthcare IT organizations are managing, the rate of data growth they are experiencing and which...
- State of Cloud Security Report In a relatively short time, cloud computing, specifically Infrastructure-as a-Service, has shifted from a new but unproven approach to an accepted, even inevitable,...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- Server and system administrators challenged to keep up with enterprise storage explosion Read this whitepaper to learn how administrators are leveraging their existing skills to simplify the management of storage and servers.
- Brunswick Moves Messaging and Collaboration to the IBM cloud Gerry Orten, Jr, Electronic Messaging Manager at Brunswick talks about why Brunswick moved to the IBM cloud.
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments. All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts