Box buys tech to let admins better track, protect stored content
Box says acquired dLoop tools will be added soon to its storage services
IDG News Service - Cloud storage vendor Box has acquired the technology behind a company called dLoop, which it will use to add more controls that give enterprises more features for protecting their content.
Enterprises have become increasingly interested in storage services offered by the likes Box, Citrix Systems, Dropbox, Egnyte and EMC, which lets users store and share content online. Enterprise interest has been a boon for the vendors, but has also put more demands on especially security and management.
Box's ability to protect and manage content is already one of its strong points, according to a recent review in Infoworld, which rated Box as better for enterprise users than a number of other online storage services.
With the addition of dLoop's technology, the company wants to add more features to help set it apart from the competition. The terms of the deal were not disclosed, but dLoop co-founder Divya Jain has joined Box.
Her job will be to lead Box's content analysis and data classification efforts, Box said in a blog post.
To put in place rules that decide what users can do with content, IT staff first have to find the content, and this is where dLoop's technology comes in. It uses machine-learning to help discover documents that are normally unreachable by search or pattern matching solutions, according to Box. Once it has integrated the dLoop technology, Box will automatically be able to find the content most relevant to enterprise administrators, the company said.
Exactly how this will manifest itself remains to be seen, but the first new features based on the acquisition will be announced shortly, it said.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- Accelerating Oracle with Preferred Reads Storage based configuration. View Now>>
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts