Box buys tech to let admins better track, protect stored content
Box says acquired dLoop tools will be added soon to its storage services
IDG News Service - Cloud storage vendor Box has acquired the technology behind a company called dLoop, which it will use to add more controls that give enterprises more features for protecting their content.
Enterprises have become increasingly interested in storage services offered by the likes Box, Citrix Systems, Dropbox, Egnyte and EMC, which lets users store and share content online. Enterprise interest has been a boon for the vendors, but has also put more demands on especially security and management.
Box's ability to protect and manage content is already one of its strong points, according to a recent review in Infoworld, which rated Box as better for enterprise users than a number of other online storage services.
With the addition of dLoop's technology, the company wants to add more features to help set it apart from the competition. The terms of the deal were not disclosed, but dLoop co-founder Divya Jain has joined Box.
Her job will be to lead Box's content analysis and data classification efforts, Box said in a blog post.
To put in place rules that decide what users can do with content, IT staff first have to find the content, and this is where dLoop's technology comes in. It uses machine-learning to help discover documents that are normally unreachable by search or pattern matching solutions, according to Box. Once it has integrated the dLoop technology, Box will automatically be able to find the content most relevant to enterprise administrators, the company said.
Exactly how this will manifest itself remains to be seen, but the first new features based on the acquisition will be announced shortly, it said.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Top 5 Reasons for Cloud-Based Disaster Recovery There is no question that every business wants to protect their operations from downtime and loss of data. But many companies don't have...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts