Nokia lays groundwork for next-gen virtualized mobile networks
The company demonstrated that virtualization and cloud-based infrastructure can help combat network congestion
IDG News Service - Nokia Solutions and Networks (NSN) and Korean operator SK Telecom have demonstrated the potential for virtualizing the core of a mobile network, which will make it easier for operators to roll out new services.
Virtualization and cloud-based services have changed enterprise systems' architecture and management. Mobile operators' desire for the same advantages in their networks has given rise to the concept of NFV (network functions virtualization).
The goal is to move away from the proprietary and expensive equipment operators use today and instead adopt a more cloud-based infrastructure that allows them to be more flexible and use commodity hardware. That could, in turn, allow operators to cut costs and roll out services faster, according to Nokia, and that should be a boon for users, as well.
Moving to a whole new way of building the networks operators rely on to offer telephony and mobile broadband isn't going to happen overnight. But even if it's still early days, vendors have to show they are current with this idea, according to Sylvain Fabre, research director at Gartner.
Nokia and SK Telecom's joint proof-of-concept focused on virtualizing the so-called Evolved Packet Core (EPC), and they were able to successfully control capacity for both throughput and signaling traffic based on smartphone usage patterns, Nokia said Monday.
SK Telecom is not the only vendor interested in NFV. Last year representatives from 13 operators -- including Verizon, China Mobile and Deutsche Telekom -- came together to write a white paper on the topic.
Because there is great interest from operators, the vendors can't ignore NFV even if a move to a more open network would open the door for new competitors in the network infrastructure sector, according to Fabre.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!