New Acer CEO abruptly resigns as founder takes helm
Acer has been struggling to revive its PC sales
IDG News Service - Acer's newly-named CEO has abruptly resigned from the troubled PC maker, in a surprise move that will result in founder Stan Shih temporarily taking over leadership.
Two weeks after Acer named Jim Wong to be its next CEO, the PC maker on Thursday announced he was stepping down "in light of the company's recent performance."
Wong, who was formally company president, was originally supposed to replace J.T. Wang as its CEO next year. Now, however, the two executives are both resigning as the CEO position is being eliminated, according to a company statement.
In the interim, Shih will take over as chairman and corporate president. "Former CEO duties will be charged to the Chairman or President and this is expected to boost the companys decision making efficiency," Acer said.
Wang and Wong will remain on as advisors.
The management shakeup occurs as Acer is posting poor earnings on declining PC shipments. The company, now the world's fourth largest PC vendor, has primarily sold products to consumers, but the rise of tablets and smartphones have been eating into its sales.
Earlier this month, Acer said it formed an advisory committee to propose changes to its strategy. Shih was tasked to help lead the committee.
To survive, Acer will have to move into the enterprise sector, building premium consumer PCs, or expanding into new geographic markets, according to analysts.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Omnichannel: From Buzzword to Strategy Customers demand a seamless experience across channels, especially mobile. Read this whitepaper for a research-based framework for using omnichannel for higher customer engagement.
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Developing a Winning Mobile Strategy: Playing Offense vs Defense Don't lose time and money with a "throw an app against a wall to see if sticks" approach to mobile. You need a...
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts