As promised, Apple adds real-time collaboration to iWork for iCloud
Move follows Microsoft's by a week, but both are years behind Google Docs
Computerworld - Apple yesterday updated its online iWork for iCloud productivity apps, adding collaboration tools that let users simultaneously edit documents, spreadsheets and presentations.
The real-time collaboration features had been announced Oct. 22 when Apple not only launched its new iPad Air and Retina iPad Mini tablets, but also said that the iWork desktop applications for OS X would be given free to buyers of new Macs.
"The number one piece of feedback we got in terms of feature requests was [for] collaboration," Roger Rosner, who heads iWork development, said during the Oct. 22 demonstration of the new iWork for iCloud tools.
Apple also added other new features to iWork for iCloud, including printing from the browser-based app -- albeit in a clumsy process that first morphs the document into a PDF, then automatically downloads it to the PC or Mac, where it can be printed -- and the ability to create folders for better document organization.
iWork for iCloud has not been stripped of its beta label, but is free to use for anyone with an Apple ID, the username and password combination necessary to access the iCloud storage and synchronization service, as well as for purchasing apps and applications from the iOS App Store and OS X Mac App Store.
Apple's move followed rival Microsoft by a week.
On Nov. 7, Microsoft began rolling out a major update to its own Office Web Apps -- like iWork for iCloud, browser-based apps -- that added real-time editing within Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. Like iWork for iCloud, Office Web Apps are offered free of charge as a standalone suite. They are also a foundation of the lowest-priced Office 365 plans, Microsoft's software-by-subscription offer, and are included with all Office 365 deals.
Both Apple and Microsoft are more than three years behind Google, whose Google Docs online service has had real-time editing since April 2010.
While some analysts believe that iWork, which includes iWork for iCloud, poses a threat to Microsoft's Office franchise in casual scenarios -- like those many consumers encounter -- few see Apple's applications as a hazard to the Redmond, Wash. company's lock on the business market.
iWork for iCloud apps -- Pages, Numbers and Keynote -- can be accessed from icloud.com.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
- Apple updates OS X Yosemite public beta
- Even rivals are waiting for Apple to get into wearables
- Apple preps final non-security Mavericks update
- New Yosemite dev preview may herald public beta update later this week
- iPhone 5C's China bust raises questions about Apple's pricing for '14 models
- Mac sales so far in '14 may signal share push
- China scrubs Apple's iPad and MacBooks from government buying list
- Circle the date: Apple's iPhone 6 event slated for Sept. 9
- Stable Mac prices fuel reliable profit engine
- Apple unveils minor bumps to MacBook Pro laptops
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Need to Replace MS Threat Management Gateway? Read this article to learn how F5's Secure Web Gateway solution provides a full set of features that can help you successfully migrate...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts