Days after IPO, Twitter launches custom timelines
Cull your favorite tweets about an event to keep others up to date
Computerworld - Twitter engineers aren't sitting around counting their money in the afterglow of their successful IPO last week.
Others' tweets can be added to a timeline by simply dragging and dropping them or by using keyboard shortcuts.
"Today we're introducing custom timelines to give you more control over how tweets are organized and delivered on the Twitter platform," wrote Brian Ellin, a product manager at Twitter in a blog post. "Share the best tweets about a topic you care about, or an event -- planned or unplanned -- that's happening right now. Whether you want to collect the best tweets about a TV show or help people find the latest information about fast-moving real-time situations, custom timelines let you give everyone a place to follow along."
Each timeline is public and will have its own page on Twitter.com, the company said. That way other users can follow along on any timeline in real time as more tweets are added.
Twitter also said the timelines can be embedded into other Web sites. Users also can share links to their custom timeline.
The move comes just days after Twitter launched its initial public offering last Thursday. After pricing its initial stocks at $26 a share, trading opened at $45.10 a share. On Tuesday, the company was trading at around $42 a share at deadline.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!