Days after IPO, Twitter launches custom timelines
Cull your favorite tweets about an event to keep others up to date
Computerworld - Twitter engineers aren't sitting around counting their money in the afterglow of their successful IPO last week.
Others' tweets can be added to a timeline by simply dragging and dropping them or by using keyboard shortcuts.
"Today we're introducing custom timelines to give you more control over how tweets are organized and delivered on the Twitter platform," wrote Brian Ellin, a product manager at Twitter in a blog post. "Share the best tweets about a topic you care about, or an event -- planned or unplanned -- that's happening right now. Whether you want to collect the best tweets about a TV show or help people find the latest information about fast-moving real-time situations, custom timelines let you give everyone a place to follow along."
Each timeline is public and will have its own page on Twitter.com, the company said. That way other users can follow along on any timeline in real time as more tweets are added.
Twitter also said the timelines can be embedded into other Web sites. Users also can share links to their custom timeline.
The move comes just days after Twitter launched its initial public offering last Thursday. After pricing its initial stocks at $26 a share, trading opened at $45.10 a share. On Tuesday, the company was trading at around $42 a share at deadline.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Social Media White Papers |