iPad Air's usage share hints at opening weekend sales boom
Air's share was double that of 2012's iPad Mini + fourth-gen iPad, when Apple sold 3M tablets
Computerworld - Apple's new iPad Air got off to a fast start this weekend, according to measurements of its online activity, which was twice the combined shares of 2012's then-new fourth-generation iPad and iPad Mini tablets.
Boston-based Fiksu, an iOS and Android app marketing firm, said that as of Monday, the iPad Air accounted for 0.72% of the iPad traffic that accessed its clients' apps. That was almost five times the 0.15% of the fourth-generation iPad after its first three days, and over three times the 0.21% of last years' original iPad Mini.
The iPad Air's online usage was double the combined total (0.36%) of last year's new tablets at the same point after their debut.
Both the iPad Mini and the fourth-generation iPad went on sale Nov. 2, 2012. This year, Apple launched only the 9.7-in. iPad Air, saying it would start selling a refreshed iPad Mini -- one with a higher-resolution Retina-style screen -- later this month.
Another change this cycle: Apple kicked off sales of both Wi-Fi-only and Wi-Fi-plus-cellular models simultaneously. In 2012, the latter lagged the former by two weeks, debuting Nov. 16.
Apple has not announced opening-weekend sales for the iPad Air -- which remains widely available, making good on analysts' expectations that supply would match demand -- as it did last year when it cited 3 million sold after the first three days.
But while Fiksu's data hints at double the sales -- in other words, approximately 6 million -- it's far from a guaranteed indicator, coming as Fiksu's numbers do from app usage, which identifies activity such as app launches and in-app purchases, not the number of individual tablets.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- Enterprise Mobility Management Checklist Read this checklist for tips and considerations when creating your own Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) strategy.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- Client Management: Simplifying Life for System Admins Watch this brief webinar to hear how implementing a client management strategy not only overcomes common Apple-ization challenges related to data protection &...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!