IDG News Service - To curb disruptions and scale up its service while keeping costs down, Twitter has drastically changed its core infrastructure and has adopted some open-source tools.
Twitter processes about 6,000 messages per second -- that's more than 500 million a day and about 3.5 billion a week. The company set a record earlier this year, with 143,000 messages per second during the airing of a movie in Japan, said Chris Aniszczyk, Twitter's head of open-source computing, at a recent conference in Europe.
When Twitter debuted in 2006, it used a monolithic Ruby on Rails application. That worked fine until 2008, when the microblogging service started to suffer a lot of "fail whales" -- the company's term for service disruptions.
The company decided to break the one application it had been using for everything into different services, Aniszczyk said. It also started using open-source tools such as Apache Mesos, a cluster manager; Netty, for creating high-performing protocol servers; and Scalding, for writing big data jobs.
And in another move, Twitter switched its core infrastructure to a Java virtual machine. The end result, said Aniszczyk, is a performance improvement and fewer disruptions.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Benefits of IBM: The Savings of Open Source Download Now
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Open Source White Papers | Webcasts