Facebook strengthens its grip on mobile, latest earnings show
Total sales of more than US$2 billion are up 60 percent from a year ago
IDG News Service - Facebook made new gains in its efforts to monetize its mobile business in the third quarter, reporting Wednesday that those devices drove nearly 50 percent of its advertising sales.
Total revenue for the quarter ended Sept. 30 was US$2.02 billion, the company reported in its earnings announcement, up 60 percent compared to $1.26 billion during the same period last year. The company's sales topped expectations of $1.91 billion, based on projections of analysts as polled by Thomson Reuters.
Revenue from advertising was $1.8 billion, up 66 percent from 2012's third quarter, Facebook reported. Ads on mobile devices constituted roughly 49 percent of those sales, the company said.
Profits were strong, too. Net income for the quarter was $425 million on earnings per share of $0.17, compared to a net loss of $59 million and a loss per share of $0.02 during the year-ago period.
Excluding share-based compensation expenses and related payroll tax expenses and adjustments, earnings per share were $0.25, up 108 percent from last year.
Mobile is a critical area of Facebook's business as more Internet users migrate away from the desktop in favor of devices like smartphones and tablets. Driving advertising on mobile can be challenging for Internet companies, but Facebook has been making inroads. The mobile gains reported Wednesday show a continuation of steady mobile advertising growth since late last year.
Facebook's mobile advertising sales have risen from 23 percent of total revenue in 2012's fourth quarter, to 30 percent in 2013's first quarter, and finally to 41 percent last quarter.
"The strong results we achieved this quarter show that we're prepared for the next phase of our company, as we work to bring the next 5 billion people online and into the knowledge economy," Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in a statement, referring to the company's Internet.org campaign.
The company stands to grow its mobile advertising sales further, given the launch of products like ads on Instagram, the popular photo sharing app owned by Facebook.
Earlier this year Facebook said that building mobile products would be a focus for 2013.
Facebook also grew its monthly active users during the quarter to 1.19 billion, an increase of 18 percent compared to last year. On a monthly basis, many of the company's users -- 874 million -- are also active on mobile, according to Facebook.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Deep Security +VMware vSphere with Operations Management Most midsize organizations are highly virtualized on VMware, and while this has produced significant savings, it also has created new challenges when it...
- Single-Vendor Security Ecosystems Offer Concrete Benefits Over Point Solutions IT security decision-makers from companies with 100 to 5,000 employees evaluates the current endpoint security solution market based on Forrester's own market data,...
- Best Practices for Security and Compliance with Amazon Web Services This paper will discuss what part of the shared responsibility equation customers are responsible for and what some of the recommended security practices...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts