Some users grumble about Twitter's photo previews
Some are bemoaning a change that puts images in their streams
IDG News Service - Some Twitter users are complaining about a change that puts photo previews front and center in their streams and are offering advice to others on how to turn it off.
Apparently these users like viewing photos on Twitter but don't want image previews appearing automatically in their stream, which is what happens with a change to the service rolled out Tuesday.
"I was perfectly happy with that one extra step of 'show picture' for the ability to see a picture that I want to see," one user wrote on Twitter's developer forum.
"I do not necessarily want to see every picture that every person I follow posts, right on my timeline," the person wrote.
Another Twitter user wondered if he had "ticked something somewhere" without realizing it.
"Wow, Twitter is suddenly unscannable. What is this crap in the feed and how do I turn if off?" asked another.
The update means users no longer have to click a link to view the photos, so scrolling through Twitter can now mean scrolling past a lot of photos. It's been activated on the desktop version of Twitter and is included with an update for the iOS and Android apps. It only works with images posted on Twitter itself, or videos posted on Twitter's Vine service, however.
Twitter is apparently keen for users to see a lot more images in their Twitter streams. Photography is a key service for social networks, and Google updated its photo features on Google+ Tuesday as well.
Showing photos in Twitter without needing to click on them can have unintended consequences, though. A search for "twitter photo previews" on Twitter Tuesday revealed at least one explicit pornographic image.
Some users provided advice on how to disable the feature, posting screenshots of how to turn it off within the Twitter app on mobile devices. The image previews can't be disabled on the desktop, however.
It's not uncommon for users to complain about changes to online services, as Facebook, Yahoo and others know too well.
One user suggested this is a fight Twitter can't win. "Y'all complained when Twitter wasn't visual. Today, y'all are complaining it has photos in your stream?"
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!