Samsung's share grows while Apple's declines in Q3 smartphone market
Chinese maker Huawei also increased share to take third place in the smartphone market, Strategy Analytics said
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics continued to dominate the smartphone market in the third quarter, which also saw quarterly shipments cross 250 million for the first time, according to research firm Strategy Analytics.
The South Korean electronics giant shipped more than twice the number of smartphones shipped by its second-placed competitor Apple in the quarter. Samsung shipped more than 88 million smartphones in the quarter, up 55% from the same quarter last year, to get a record 35% share, Strategy Analytics said Monday.
Apple's market share, however, dipped to 13.4% from 15.6% in the same quarter a year ago. The iPhone maker said Monday it shipped 33.8 million iPhones worldwide in the third quarter, up from 26.9 million in the same quarter last year.
The figure for the third quarter included around 9 million iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c smartphones in the three days after the new handsets were launched on Sept. 20, which Apple said was a record.
The company reported Monday a drop in profit even as revenue grew in its fiscal fourth quarter ended Sept. 28. It reported a profit of $7.5 billion for the quarter, down from $8.2 billion in the same quarter a year earlier. Revenue climbed to $37.5 billion, up from $36 billion in the same quarter last year.
Apple's falling share of the smartphones market comes even as the company has been trying to increase the models of the iPhone it has in the market. That strategy is expected to bear fruit in the fourth quarter. Strategy Analytics expects Apple to regain share in the fourth quarter of 2013 because of high demand for its new iPhone 5s model.
Samsung has reported an increased competitiveness in the mobile devices market in the third quarter, and said last week that shipments of its high-end smartphones remained flat quarter-on-quarter, although demand from the mass-market was higher.
A "star performer" in the quarter was Chinese maker Huawei Technologies which saw its global market share rise to more than 5% from 4.4% in the same quarter a year ago, to become the third largest vendor. Huawei's shipments grew 67% year-on-year to 12.7 million units in the third quarter, but it saw its most robust growth in the domestic Chinese market.
LG shipped 12 million smartphones worldwide in the quarter for a close to 5% market share, while Lenovo rolled out 10.8 million smartphones for a 4.3% market share and fifth position in the third quarter, taking advantage of its popularity among Chinese mass-market consumers and its international expansion, Strategy Analytics said.
Global smartphone shipments grew 45% year-on-year to 251.4 million in the third quarter. Smartphones accounted for 6 in 10 of all mobile phones shipped worldwide, the research firm said.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Deep Security +VMware vSphere with Operations Management Most midsize organizations are highly virtualized on VMware, and while this has produced significant savings, it also has created new challenges when it...
- Single-Vendor Security Ecosystems Offer Concrete Benefits Over Point Solutions IT security decision-makers from companies with 100 to 5,000 employees evaluates the current endpoint security solution market based on Forrester's own market data,...
- Best Practices for Security and Compliance with Amazon Web Services This paper will discuss what part of the shared responsibility equation customers are responsible for and what some of the recommended security practices...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts