Samsung's share grows while Apple's declines in Q3 smartphone market
Chinese maker Huawei also increased share to take third place in the smartphone market, Strategy Analytics said
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics continued to dominate the smartphone market in the third quarter, which also saw quarterly shipments cross 250 million for the first time, according to research firm Strategy Analytics.
The South Korean electronics giant shipped more than twice the number of smartphones shipped by its second-placed competitor Apple in the quarter. Samsung shipped more than 88 million smartphones in the quarter, up 55% from the same quarter last year, to get a record 35% share, Strategy Analytics said Monday.
Apple's market share, however, dipped to 13.4% from 15.6% in the same quarter a year ago. The iPhone maker said Monday it shipped 33.8 million iPhones worldwide in the third quarter, up from 26.9 million in the same quarter last year.
The figure for the third quarter included around 9 million iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c smartphones in the three days after the new handsets were launched on Sept. 20, which Apple said was a record.
The company reported Monday a drop in profit even as revenue grew in its fiscal fourth quarter ended Sept. 28. It reported a profit of $7.5 billion for the quarter, down from $8.2 billion in the same quarter a year earlier. Revenue climbed to $37.5 billion, up from $36 billion in the same quarter last year.
Apple's falling share of the smartphones market comes even as the company has been trying to increase the models of the iPhone it has in the market. That strategy is expected to bear fruit in the fourth quarter. Strategy Analytics expects Apple to regain share in the fourth quarter of 2013 because of high demand for its new iPhone 5s model.
Samsung has reported an increased competitiveness in the mobile devices market in the third quarter, and said last week that shipments of its high-end smartphones remained flat quarter-on-quarter, although demand from the mass-market was higher.
A "star performer" in the quarter was Chinese maker Huawei Technologies which saw its global market share rise to more than 5% from 4.4% in the same quarter a year ago, to become the third largest vendor. Huawei's shipments grew 67% year-on-year to 12.7 million units in the third quarter, but it saw its most robust growth in the domestic Chinese market.
LG shipped 12 million smartphones worldwide in the quarter for a close to 5% market share, while Lenovo rolled out 10.8 million smartphones for a 4.3% market share and fifth position in the third quarter, taking advantage of its popularity among Chinese mass-market consumers and its international expansion, Strategy Analytics said.
Global smartphone shipments grew 45% year-on-year to 251.4 million in the third quarter. Smartphones accounted for 6 in 10 of all mobile phones shipped worldwide, the research firm said.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts