Twitter hires NBC News digital exec to boost news cred
Schiller chaged with driving Twitter's partnerships with media networks
IDG News Service - Twitter has hired a top digital executive at NBC News, Vivian Schiller, to help boost its partnerships with news organizations.
Schiller will join Twitter as head of news in January, she said in a tweet Thursday.
Twitter is already a go-to destination for real-time news and chatter about current events. With Schiller on board, Twitter hopes to make its service a stronger resource for news outlets, and also usher in more media deals, possibly through advertising.
Schiller was chief digital officer at NBC News for two years. Before that she worked at NPR, The New York Times and CNN, according to her LinkedIn profile.
Twitter has been partnering with broadcasters to try to become a "second screen" while people are watching television. Through its Amplify program, Twitter works with broadcasters like BBC, Fox and the Weather Channel to place their video content, along with ads, into users' feeds.
If users are tweeting about certain TV shows, Twitter also places promoted tweets from marketers into their streams with its ad targeting programs.
"We plan to continue to leverage our media relationships to drive more content distribution on our platform and create more value for our users and advertisers," Twitter said in its recent IPO filing.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts