Twitter hires NBC News digital exec to boost news cred
Schiller chaged with driving Twitter's partnerships with media networks
IDG News Service - Twitter has hired a top digital executive at NBC News, Vivian Schiller, to help boost its partnerships with news organizations.
Schiller will join Twitter as head of news in January, she said in a tweet Thursday.
Twitter is already a go-to destination for real-time news and chatter about current events. With Schiller on board, Twitter hopes to make its service a stronger resource for news outlets, and also usher in more media deals, possibly through advertising.
Schiller was chief digital officer at NBC News for two years. Before that she worked at NPR, The New York Times and CNN, according to her LinkedIn profile.
Twitter has been partnering with broadcasters to try to become a "second screen" while people are watching television. Through its Amplify program, Twitter works with broadcasters like BBC, Fox and the Weather Channel to place their video content, along with ads, into users' feeds.
If users are tweeting about certain TV shows, Twitter also places promoted tweets from marketers into their streams with its ad targeting programs.
"We plan to continue to leverage our media relationships to drive more content distribution on our platform and create more value for our users and advertisers," Twitter said in its recent IPO filing.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts