Vine mimes Instagram with new editing features
Users can now edit their videos without having to do a retake
IDG News Service - Twitter's Vine video sharing app and Instagram now share a useful feature: editing.
On Thursday, Vine announced a tool called "time travel," which lets users remove, reorganize or replace any shot in a post before they share it with others. Previously, Vine users had two options if they didn't like their video: either stick with it and carry on or delete it and start from scratch.
Letting users delete and swap around clips within their videos should give them more leeway, but they still have a tight window to work with because Vine videos must be between three and six seconds long.
With editing, Vine gains a feature that Instagram has had since it launched its video mode this past June. In that app, users can delete the most recent shot within a video before they upload it.
Vine also announced another feature called "sessions," which lets users save a post and come back to it later before uploading it. People can work on up to 10 posts at once or as much as a full minute of video.
The new version of the app was made available Thursday for both iOS and Android-based devices.
Vine gained several other features in July, including new channels for finding and uploading video, a way to "revine" videos like a retweet on Twitter, and an option to make posts viewable only by approved people.
Vine still doesn't have a video import tool like Instagram does. While Instagram lets users import previously shot videos from their camera roll, videos on Vine must be shot within the app.
Twitter launched the Vine service earlier this year, to give users a way to post quick and snappy six-second videos on loop, similar to a 140-character tweet.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!