Vine mimes Instagram with new editing features
Users can now edit their videos without having to do a retake
IDG News Service - Twitter's Vine video sharing app and Instagram now share a useful feature: editing.
On Thursday, Vine announced a tool called "time travel," which lets users remove, reorganize or replace any shot in a post before they share it with others. Previously, Vine users had two options if they didn't like their video: either stick with it and carry on or delete it and start from scratch.
Letting users delete and swap around clips within their videos should give them more leeway, but they still have a tight window to work with because Vine videos must be between three and six seconds long.
With editing, Vine gains a feature that Instagram has had since it launched its video mode this past June. In that app, users can delete the most recent shot within a video before they upload it.
Vine also announced another feature called "sessions," which lets users save a post and come back to it later before uploading it. People can work on up to 10 posts at once or as much as a full minute of video.
The new version of the app was made available Thursday for both iOS and Android-based devices.
Vine gained several other features in July, including new channels for finding and uploading video, a way to "revine" videos like a retweet on Twitter, and an option to make posts viewable only by approved people.
Vine still doesn't have a video import tool like Instagram does. While Instagram lets users import previously shot videos from their camera roll, videos on Vine must be shot within the app.
Twitter launched the Vine service earlier this year, to give users a way to post quick and snappy six-second videos on loop, similar to a 140-character tweet.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Social Media White Papers |
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!