Vine mimes Instagram with new editing features
Users can now edit their videos without having to do a retake
IDG News Service - Twitter's Vine video sharing app and Instagram now share a useful feature: editing.
On Thursday, Vine announced a tool called "time travel," which lets users remove, reorganize or replace any shot in a post before they share it with others. Previously, Vine users had two options if they didn't like their video: either stick with it and carry on or delete it and start from scratch.
Letting users delete and swap around clips within their videos should give them more leeway, but they still have a tight window to work with because Vine videos must be between three and six seconds long.
With editing, Vine gains a feature that Instagram has had since it launched its video mode this past June. In that app, users can delete the most recent shot within a video before they upload it.
Vine also announced another feature called "sessions," which lets users save a post and come back to it later before uploading it. People can work on up to 10 posts at once or as much as a full minute of video.
The new version of the app was made available Thursday for both iOS and Android-based devices.
Vine gained several other features in July, including new channels for finding and uploading video, a way to "revine" videos like a retweet on Twitter, and an option to make posts viewable only by approved people.
Vine still doesn't have a video import tool like Instagram does. While Instagram lets users import previously shot videos from their camera roll, videos on Vine must be shot within the app.
Twitter launched the Vine service earlier this year, to give users a way to post quick and snappy six-second videos on loop, similar to a 140-character tweet.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts