Yahoo snaps up LookFlow to improve Flickr
Five LookFlow engineers will be joining Yahoo's Flickr team in San Francisco
IDG News Service - Yahoo has acquired LookFlow, an image recognition company, as part of a plan to improve photo discovery on Flickr, Yahoo announced Wednesday.
LookFlow's technology uses machine learning to help users find and explore images. It's a goal shared by the team at Yahoo's Flickr photo-sharing service, LookFlow said on its website.
Five engineers at LookFlow -- and the technology they built -- will be brought to Yahoo's Flickr business in San Francisco, a Yahoo spokeswoman said in an email. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
LookFlow's product will be incorporated into a future version of Flickr, LookFlow said. The company said it will also help Yahoo build a new "deep learning group."
Yahoo recently made some radical changes to Flickr, including a slickly designed photo layout and a free terabyte of storage, to "make it awesome again." It was just one of many redesigns and new product launches aimed at a larger reinvention for the company.
Flickr has roughly 90 million users, Yahoo has said. A terabyte of storage can accommodate 530,000 high-quality photos, so it makes sense that Yahoo would want to make all those photos easier to find.
Flickr also has a $499-a-year paid option, to give users 2 terabytes of storage.
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program This white paper provides a general framework your organization can use to create or build upon an application security program. It includes guidelines...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts