Mobile, TV customers drive AT&T revenue growth
AT&T posts its second-highest quarter for U-verse TV subscriber growth
IDG News Service - AT&T posted gains in revenue and net income for the third quarter of 2013, with gains in mobile phone and U-verse TV subscribers driving the growth.
AT&T on Wednesday reported revenue of $32.2 billion for the third quarter, a 2.2% increase from the third quarter of 2012. Net income was $3.8 billion, up 4.9%. Earnings per share was 66 cents, beating analyst expectations by one cent.
"There is a lot we really like about the quarter," said John Stephens, AT&T's CFO. AT&T's efforts to expand its 4G mobile services and shift its voice network to IP, announced in November 2012, are paying off, he said during a conference call.
Even after large additions of U-verse TV and broadband customers, there's more room for growth as AT&T expands its broadband network and increases speeds in many areas, he said.
The company added 989,000 mobile phone customers during the quarter, including 178,000 smartphone and 388,000 tablet customers. Mobile revenue was $17.5 billion, up 5.1% from a year earlier, and mobile data revenue was up 17.5% to $5.5 billion, the company said.
Data revenue growth has "a lot of runway" as customers continue to use more mobile data, Stephens said.
In AT&T's wireline division, revenue was $14.7 billion, down 1% from a year earlier. But the company's U-verse broadband and video revenue grew 28.1% from a year ago. U-verse TV had its second highest growth quarter ever, by adding 265,000 subscribers to reach 5.3 million, the company said. U-verse broadband added 655,000 customers to reach 9.7 million, the company said.
Overall, AT&T had a net loss of 26,000 wireline broadband customers during the quarter, with DSL losses offsetting U-verse gains.
AT&T's revenue from business customers was $8.8 billion, down 2.6%.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's email address is email@example.com.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Three Best Practices to Help Government Agencies Overcome BYOD Challenges This paper highlightschallenges facing government IT in a BYOD environment and discusses strategies for network preparation, ongoing support, and securing information to enable...
- 3 Steps to Content Sharing and Collaboration ft. Forrester Research Consumer sync and share tools help people access and send personal files, but smart IT leaders know that businesses require more than just...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Omnichannel: From Buzzword to Strategy Customers demand a seamless experience across channels, especially mobile. Read this whitepaper for a research-based framework for using omnichannel for higher customer engagement.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more