Germany says U.S. may have spied on Merkel's mobile phone
Germany calls such surveillance 'completely unacceptable,' Merkel's spokesman says
IDG News Service - U.S. intelligence agencies may have spied on German Chancellor Angela Merkel's mobile phone, which would be a "grave breach of trust," the German government said Wednesday.
The German government has asked for "immediate and comprehensive" information on the possible surveillance, Merkel spokesman Steffen Seibert said in a statement posted on the German government's website.
Seibert didn't disclose how the German government received information about the surveillance. Merkel, in a phone call with U.S. President Barack Obama, said such surveillance would be "completely unacceptable," the statement said.
Merkel told Obama she expects U.S. authorities to detail the scope of monitoring practices in Germany, Seibert said.
Obama assured Merkel that intelligence agencies, including the U.S. National Security Agency, are not monitoring Merkel's phone, according to news reports.
The German allegations follow months of news reports on the National Security Agency's surveillance programs. This week, German news magazine Der Spiegel reported that the NSA hacked into an email server used by former Mexico President Felipe Calderon in 2010.
- 18 Hot IT Certifications for 2014
- CIOs Opting for IT Contractors Over Hiring Full-Time Staff
- 12 Best Free iOS 7 Holiday Shopping Apps
- For CMOs Big Data Can Lead to Big Profits
- Slideshow: 5 ways to lock down your mobile device
- Slideshow: 10 mistakes companies make after a data breach
- How to rob a bank: A social engineering walk through
- Which smartphone is the most secure?
If you think getting it right from day one is always what matters, you probably haven't been following technology too closely.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Bring Networks and Applications Closer--Cisco ONE
- A series of sweeping trends is placing new requirements on the tried-and-true network model--requiring network infrastructure and applications to communicate. Get the open...
- Lippis Research Reviews the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X
- In this Lippis Report Research Note, Lippis Research reviews the latest edition of the "most popular access switch on the planet" -- the...
- Design Guide--Scaling Up to a Campus-Wide LAN
- Is it time to scale your network environment to a campus wired LAN? Here's the framework you need to set up your LAN...
- Comprehensive Security: Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series
- With a rich and comprehensive set of security features, Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches can help you address networking megatrends such...
- Be Energy Efficient--The Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series
- How much energy could be saved if all 230 million Layer 2 and 3 fixed managed switch ports sold in 2012 were as... All Government IT White Papers
- Live Webcast The Network as a Business Growth Engine View Now
- Live Webcast Why IT Needs to Focus on Business Services Technology has dramatically changed how your customers interact with you--and share their experiences.
- Live Webcast Securing Mobile Devices with Citrix XenMobile MDM In this video, Chief Demo Officer, Brad Peterson provides a demo of how Citrix XenMobile MDM works.
- Modernizing SAP environments with minimum risk - a path to Big Data Hear from top IDC analyst, Richard Villars, about the path you can start taking now to enable your organization to get the benefits...
- Vblock™ Specialized System for SAP HANA® Overview video from DJ Long about the new Vblock Specialized System for SAP HANA®.
- The Power of the Citrix Mobility Solution, XenMobile Does everything become a smartphone? Or does the smartphone begin to do everything? How can we afford to support BYOD? Rather, how can...
- BYOD Happens: How to Secure Mobility How to navigate the journey of securing mobility, including the BYOD corruption of IT, the top ten mobility strategies, and the mobility management...
- Fighting Fraud Videos: IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager Short videos about IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager (IIM) for Fraud. IIM optimizes the investigation of fraud for customers across many industries in both...
- All Government IT Webcasts
Does your organization offer extensive benefits, cool perks, competitive salaries, opportunities for training and advancement? Then get it recognized!
Nominate your company or another deserving organization for Computerworld's 2014 Best Places to Work in IT list now through Dec. 20, 2013.