Gear smartwatch will soon work with more Samsung smartphones
Owners of several recent Galaxy devices will be able to use the Gear to answer phone calls
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics is updating products including the Galaxy S4 and Note II so they can communicate with the company's Galaxy Gear smartwatch.
When Samsung launched the smartwatch last month it only worked with the Galaxy Note 3, but the company will this month start distributing two software updates that add another eight products to the compatibility list.
The Galaxy S4, S III and Note II will work with the smartwatch as soon as they have been upgraded to Android 4.3. The update is already available to users in Germany, Samsung said. The Galaxy S4 mini, S4 Active, S4 zoom, Mega 5.8 and Mega 6.3 will receive a separate update, which will go out to the first users before the end of the month. However, some carriers can take a while to vet and deliver Android updates to their customers, and Samsung said schedules for each device will vary by country and carrier.
When the Gear is linked to a compatible phone, it lets users preview messages received by the phone, answer and place calls thanks to an integrated speaker, run apps written for the device, and take pictures with its 1.9-megapixel camera. The device has a 1.6-inch display and is powered by a 800MHz processor.
The Gear's September launch was preceded by months of speculation and a level of hype that Samsung wasn't able to live up to.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Acxiom Case Study This case study, which focuses on Acxiom, explores how the company was able to secure employee data, reduce migration costs and boost productivity...
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Exponentially Accelerate Data Protection and Recovery with Simpana 10 IntelliSnap® Snapshot Management Technology Are you making the best use of your storage array snapshot functionality? CommVault Simpana 10 IntelliSnap technology manages hardware-based snapshots across multiple vendor...
- Simpana IntelliSnap Technology Datasheet With IntelliSnap you can maximize the value of your snapshot technology while dramatically reducing management overhead and complexity.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Applications White Papers |