Gear smartwatch will soon work with more Samsung smartphones
Owners of several recent Galaxy devices will be able to use the Gear to answer phone calls
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics is updating products including the Galaxy S4 and Note II so they can communicate with the company's Galaxy Gear smartwatch.
When Samsung launched the smartwatch last month it only worked with the Galaxy Note 3, but the company will this month start distributing two software updates that add another eight products to the compatibility list.
The Galaxy S4, S III and Note II will work with the smartwatch as soon as they have been upgraded to Android 4.3. The update is already available to users in Germany, Samsung said. The Galaxy S4 mini, S4 Active, S4 zoom, Mega 5.8 and Mega 6.3 will receive a separate update, which will go out to the first users before the end of the month. However, some carriers can take a while to vet and deliver Android updates to their customers, and Samsung said schedules for each device will vary by country and carrier.
When the Gear is linked to a compatible phone, it lets users preview messages received by the phone, answer and place calls thanks to an integrated speaker, run apps written for the device, and take pictures with its 1.9-megapixel camera. The device has a 1.6-inch display and is powered by a 800MHz processor.
The Gear's September launch was preceded by months of speculation and a level of hype that Samsung wasn't able to live up to.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program This white paper provides a general framework your organization can use to create or build upon an application security program. It includes guidelines...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts