Gear smartwatch will soon work with more Samsung smartphones
Owners of several recent Galaxy devices will be able to use the Gear to answer phone calls
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics is updating products including the Galaxy S4 and Note II so they can communicate with the company's Galaxy Gear smartwatch.
When Samsung launched the smartwatch last month it only worked with the Galaxy Note 3, but the company will this month start distributing two software updates that add another eight products to the compatibility list.
The Galaxy S4, S III and Note II will work with the smartwatch as soon as they have been upgraded to Android 4.3. The update is already available to users in Germany, Samsung said. The Galaxy S4 mini, S4 Active, S4 zoom, Mega 5.8 and Mega 6.3 will receive a separate update, which will go out to the first users before the end of the month. However, some carriers can take a while to vet and deliver Android updates to their customers, and Samsung said schedules for each device will vary by country and carrier.
When the Gear is linked to a compatible phone, it lets users preview messages received by the phone, answer and place calls thanks to an integrated speaker, run apps written for the device, and take pictures with its 1.9-megapixel camera. The device has a 1.6-inch display and is powered by a 800MHz processor.
The Gear's September launch was preceded by months of speculation and a level of hype that Samsung wasn't able to live up to.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts