Apple warns of SSD failures in MacBook Air, offers free replacements
Apple says it will replace 64GB and 128GB SSDs in MacBook Airs sold between June 2012 and June 2013
IDG News Service - Apple is warning customers that solid-state drives in some MacBook Airs are failing and is offering free replacements.
The company said that 64GB and 128GB SSDs were failing in MacBook Air laptops sold between June 2012 and June 2013. The drives will be replaced free, the company said in webpage about the SSD recall.
The laptops involved are the previous generation of MacBook Airs, which ran on Intel Ivy Bridge processors. The failure affects users in all countries where MacBook Airs were sold. Users can visit an Apple Store, an authorized reseller or contact the company to replace the SSDs.
Users can determine if their drives are affected through firmware available at the Mac App Store. Users can click on Updates at the Mac App Store and choose "MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.1," which will check the drive.
Apple is recommending users back up their data and that they not install any new OSes or applications.
SSD failures have been decreasing over the years as the drives have become more reliable. Intel has recalled SSDs multiple times in the past years after finding bugs in the drives.
- How to Choose the Right SSD SSDs boast the combination of increased I/O (input/output) throughput and greater power density (IOPS/Watt), which can accelerate applications and enable data center footprint...
- How Hyperscale Data Centers Can Benefit from SSDs Many traditional enterprises are moving to hyperscale architecture due to its scalabilty. Today's SSDs are an ideal solution that many organizations are implementing...
- Top Applications for SSDs in Cloud/Hyperscale Environments This brief shows real world examples of how SSD technology solves key customer challenges across cloud and hyperscale data center environments.
- Top Applications for SSDs in Financial Services This brief shows real world examples of how SSD technology solves key customer challenges across the financial services industry.
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All SSD White Papers | Webcasts