More than 40% of YouTube traffic is now from mobile
Smartphones and tablets have contributed to a sharp jump in mobile viewing since 2011
IDG News Service - YouTube's presence on mobile devices has exploded in the past couple of years, Google said Thursday.
In 2011, 6% of traffic for the Google-owned video service came from mobile devices, but the figure is now 41%, CEO Larry Page said on Google's quarterly earnings call.
The trend represents "great progress," Page said on the call. Google and other online companies are trying to boost the advertising dollars they get from mobile devices as PC sales decline and people spend more time looking at smaller screens.
"We are closing in on our goal of a beautiful, simple and intuitive experience regardless of your device," Page said in Google's earnings announcement.
But it's not all roses for Google when it comes to mobile. The company also reported more anemic results from its Motorola handset business, which makes products like the Moto X smartphone. The unit's sales for the quarter dropped by a third to $1.18 billion.
Google is focusing on marketing and distribution for the Moto X, CFO Patrick Pichette said during the earnings call. The Moto X is the first phone developed since Google bought Motorola Mobility for more than $12 billion last year.
Google reported total sales of $14.89 billion for the period ended Sept. 30, up 12% from the same quarter last year.
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts