Programmers at Juniper -- not Google or Facebook -- rake in the most dough
Juniper's average base salary for coders is about $160,000
IDG News Service - What a lucrative profession coding can be -- the best paid software engineers have an average base salary of nearly $160,000, and they work at Juniper Networks, according to a recent survey.
Juniper, a network equipment maker that competes with Cisco Systems, placed first in a ranking of the 25 highest paying companies for software engineers, compiled by the employee reviews site Glassdoor.
Software engineers at Juniper have an average annual base salary of $159,990, far above the national average for software developers, which is $92,790, Glassdoor said.
They're followed by developers at LinkedIn, with an average base salary of $136,427; Yahoo, at $130,312; Google, at $127,143; and Twitter, at $124,863.
Facebook made the list too, but it occupied only the number-nine position, at $121,507. An unlikely company beat it: Walmart, with an average annual base salary for software engineers of $122,110. The lowest-paying company on the top 25 list was Qualcomm, at $101,094 a year.
Glassdoor is quick to note that the list doesn't take into account additional factors that affect take-home pay such as cash bonuses and stock options.
To be considered for the ranking, companies needed to have at least 50 software engineer salary reports on Glassdoor over the past 12 months. Glassdoor's data came from two sources: individual employees sharing salaries on the site and nationally available databases, spokeswoman MaryJo Fitzgerald said.
The ranking was not designed to only look at tech-focused companies but was compiled using all software engineer salary reports. That's why Walmart was on the list at number eight. The company "competes for top software engineers to deliver a great online shopping experience for its e-commerce presence," Fitzgerald said.
Glassdoor looked at 20 of the largest U.S. metro areas by population, but also rising tech hubs like Austin, Texas. The San Francisco Bay Area led the pack, with an average base salary for software engineers of $111,885, and is home to 18 of the top 25 companies. Not far behind was Seattle, at $103,196, followed by San Diego, at $93,993.
Austin, which some call the "Silicon Hills" and others the live music capital of the world, had an average base salary for software engineers of $84,232. Tech culture is big in the city, as it hosts the SXSW music, film and technology festival each year.
Other companies named in Glassdoor's ranking included Apple, Oracle, Nvidia and eBay.
Last year the company zeroed in on 15 companies. Google took the top spot in that report at about $128,000, though much lower than the $160,000 cited for Juniper this year.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.