IBM and four universities plan to study cognitive computing
IDG News Service - IBM and four universities are planning to study cognitive computing in a research project whose goal is to develop computers that operate in a manner that's similar to the way the human mind works.
The researchers hope to create systems that outperform Watson, the IBM supercomputer that, among other things, famously competed on the TV game show Jeopardy!
The company said its partners will be Carnegie Mellon University, MIT, New York University and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
The project will involve the study of big data, to find new ways to use computers to process large volumes of structured and unstructured data.
Topics to be explored include how applications can boost group decision-making, how processing power and algorithms apply to artificial intelligence, how systems should be designed for more natural interaction and how deep learning impacts automated pattern recognition.
Another IBM project seeks to imitate how neurons receive sensory input and connect with each other. That effort is called Synapse, for Systems of Neuromorphic Adaptive Plastic Scalable Electronics.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Government/Industries White Papers | Webcasts