Now Lenovo enters as a potential BlackBerry suitor
PC, tablet and smartphone maker is based in Beijing
Computerworld - The list of reported parties interested in buying BlackBerry is growing, and now includes Lenovo Group, according to unnamed sources speaking to the Wall Street Journal.
Lenovo is based in Beijing, China, but has 33,000 workers in more than 60 countries, including Morrisville, N.C., according to its Web site.
According to the report, Lenovo has signed a nondisclosure agreement to explore the purchase of all of BlackBerry, similar to an agreement signed by Cerberus Capital Management with BlackBerry, as reported by the Bloomberg news service Wednesday.
Last week, BlackBerry co-founders Mike Lazaridis and Doug Fregin filed documents with the Securities and Exchange Commission to to take over all or part of BlackBerry. Meanwhile, Fairfax Financial Holdings has the most advanced offer to take BlackBerry private for $4.7 billion. Fairfax already owns 10% of BlackBerry, while the founders own 8%.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts