OpenStack's new code release packed with enterprise features
Updated cloud computing platform, dubbed Havana, supports support virtual networking, identity and access management
Network World - The latest code release of OpenStack's cloud computing platform named Havana is packed with features that organizers say appeal directly to enterprise audiences.
OpenStack is a turning into a broad project with more than a dozen open source components. While it started with basic compute and storage functionality, it's grown to support virtual networking, identity and access management, and now new to this week's release are tools to help better manage and deploy clouds.
[MORE OPENSTACK:OpenStack grows up, but is it grown up enough for enterprises?]
Havana's release has two major new components, and updates to a variety of others.
One major new project is code-named Heat, which is an orchestration platform that allows users to more easily provision OpenStack-based clouds. Using Heat application developers can feed templates into the program and it will automatically deploy the resources. It can launch applications, create virtual machines and it automates the entire process, they say. It also provides cross-compatibility with Amazon Web Service's orchestration platform named CloudFormation, which means AWS templates will work in OpenStack environments.
Another new project is Ceilometer, which is a service that collects usage data across an OpenStack cloud. It integrates with OpenStack's authentication and identity management system to provide granular tracking data, including which users are using which resources and for how long. For service providers, it has an automated billing feature.
Havana comes with other advancements. The block storage platform Swift, for example, has new security configurations including end-to-end encryption of all drivers. It adds the ability to do volume migration across multiple different storage providers who all use the Swift code base too. This allows users to take advantage of different cost and performance attributes of various storage platforms.The virtual networking project has also been renamed Neutron it was formerly called Quantum, - and it too has new functionality.
Neutron supports open source virtual networking implementations like Open vSwitch and VMware's NSX and it works with Openflow controllers. It will also plug into many Cisco devices, says OpenStack Foundation executive director Jonathan Bryce.
Neutron has a standard way of creating networks, attaching a networking device to it, and adding things to the networks that can be managed through an API. New features include the ability to easily create VPNs and install firewalls in Neutron.
As OpenStack continues to add new components, more and more of those are geared at enterprise audiences, says Bryce. Cloud management tools like Heat and tracking tools like Ceilometer are important pieces of a cloud platform for any user, but especially enterprises. Furthermore, Heat is meant to work with not just OpenStack clouds, but it can manage resources from AWS as well. That heterogeneous management reflects a reality of where enterprise IT shops are today as they incorporate different vendor strategies.
- IDC: Eliminate Shortcomings in Your Cloud Architecture with Smarter Storage This white paper demonstrates how IBM Smarter Storage provides customers with an ideal, proven platform for cloud computing. IBM has a differentiated storage...
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Managed Private Cloud Protect and manage your entire enterprise continuously with Code42's simple, efficient Managed Private Cloud. Simply plug it in and rely on our data...
- Enterprise Cloud Deployment Strategies A powerful and highly flexible solution, CrashPlan lets organizations select their preferred cloud deployment strategy, resting assured all strategies meet or exceed rigorous...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT...
- Leveraging the Cloud for Dev/Test This video discusses some of the key considerations that IT organizations should take into account when moving test and development projects to the... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts