Acer's Iconia W4 Windows 8.1 tablet to start at $329.99
Acer's Iconia W4 tablet will have an 8-inch screen and Intel's Bay Trail chip
IDG News Service - Acer's much anticipated Iconia W4 tablet with Windows 8.1 will be available this month starting at $329.99 with 32GB of storage.
The tablet has Intel's quad-core Atom chip code-named Bay Trail. Acer has priced a 64GB model at $379.99.
The tablet is for productivity, web browsing and video, Acer said. The W4 will succeed the Iconia W3, which was announced last year and was the first Windows 8 tablet with a screen size under 10 inches.
The W4 offers eight hours of battery life when watching movies, and 10 hours when browsing the web, Acer said. It weighs 415 grams (14.6 ounces) and is 10.75 millimeters (.42 inches) thick.
The device is slightly heavier and thicker than some Windows 8.1 tablets with 8-inch screens that have already been announced. Dell's $299 Venue 8 Pro, Lenovo's $299 Miix2 and Toshiba's $329.99 Encore are the other announced 8-inch tablets that run on Bay Trail chips.
The Iconia W4 features are similar to other 8-inch tablets. The screen displays images at a 1280 x 800-pixel resolution. The W4 has a two-megapixel front camera and a 5-megapixel back camera. The tablet can be connected to a high-definition TV through an HDMI port.
Microsoft's Office Home and Student 2013 Edition productivity suite is pre-installed. Acer will offer optional keyboard and cover accessories.
Depending on the country, Microsoft is shipping Windows 8.1 to consumers on Oct. 17 and Oct. 18. Users of the Iconia W3 tablet will be able to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 through a free upgrade that will pushed to the tablet.
- Enterprise Mobility Management Checklist Read this checklist for tips and considerations when creating your own Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) strategy.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Client Management: Simplifying Life for System Admins Watch this brief webinar to hear how implementing a client management strategy not only overcomes common Apple-ization challenges related to data protection &...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!