Acer's Iconia W4 Windows 8.1 tablet to start at $329.99
Acer's Iconia W4 tablet will have an 8-inch screen and Intel's Bay Trail chip
IDG News Service - Acer's much anticipated Iconia W4 tablet with Windows 8.1 will be available this month starting at $329.99 with 32GB of storage.
The tablet has Intel's quad-core Atom chip code-named Bay Trail. Acer has priced a 64GB model at $379.99.
The tablet is for productivity, web browsing and video, Acer said. The W4 will succeed the Iconia W3, which was announced last year and was the first Windows 8 tablet with a screen size under 10 inches.
The W4 offers eight hours of battery life when watching movies, and 10 hours when browsing the web, Acer said. It weighs 415 grams (14.6 ounces) and is 10.75 millimeters (.42 inches) thick.
The device is slightly heavier and thicker than some Windows 8.1 tablets with 8-inch screens that have already been announced. Dell's $299 Venue 8 Pro, Lenovo's $299 Miix2 and Toshiba's $329.99 Encore are the other announced 8-inch tablets that run on Bay Trail chips.
The Iconia W4 features are similar to other 8-inch tablets. The screen displays images at a 1280 x 800-pixel resolution. The W4 has a two-megapixel front camera and a 5-megapixel back camera. The tablet can be connected to a high-definition TV through an HDMI port.
Microsoft's Office Home and Student 2013 Edition productivity suite is pre-installed. Acer will offer optional keyboard and cover accessories.
Depending on the country, Microsoft is shipping Windows 8.1 to consumers on Oct. 17 and Oct. 18. Users of the Iconia W3 tablet will be able to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 through a free upgrade that will pushed to the tablet.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts