Cerberus explores acquiring BlackBerry
Private equity firm joins Fairfax and BlackBerry's co-founders in considering an offer for the phone maker
Computerworld - Private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management is reportedly considering a bid to acquire all of ailing BlackBerry.
The Bloomberg news service, citing a person close to the situation, reported Wednesday that Cerberus is in the early stages of weighing an offer and has signed an agreement with BlackBerry to gain access to its financial information for more insights.
BlackBerry and Cerberus did not comment on the report.
Cerberus sees BlackBerry as a viable business that can be turned around, even as BlackBerry reported a third-quarter loss of nearly $1 billion due to slack smartphone sales. The phone maker plans to lay off 4,500 of its 12,500 workers. Cerberus specializes in investments in distressed companies.
Last week, BlackBerry co-founders Mike Lazaridis and Doug Fregin filed documents with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission to take over all or part of BlackBerry, while Fairfax Financial Holdings made a preliminary offer in September to buy BlackBerry for $4.7 billion. Fairfax owns 10% of BlackBerry, while the founders own 8%.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!