Intel's Bay Trail chips to hit 10 tablets, hybrids next month
New Bay Trail tablets will have Windows 8.1 and Android
IDG News Service - Intel's recently introduced Atom chips code-named Bay Trail will be in 10 tablets and hybrids by the end of November, when the holiday shopping season takes off.
That's less than Intel hoped for, but it is faster adoption for Atom chips in tablets than for their predecessors, said Brian Krzanich, Intel's CEO, during a call on Tuesday to discuss third-quarter earnings.
"We've seen 50 design wins with half of them being 2-in-1 devices," Krzanich said. "We see it continuing to grow as we enter next year."
Intel is using the term "2-in-1" to describe hybrids, which can function as both tablets and laptops. Detachable keyboards can be attached to turn tablets into laptops.
The first Bay Trail tablets that have already been announced run on Windows 8.1 and start at $299. But there will be new tablets running on Android by Thanksgiving weekend, Krzanich said. Intel has projected Bay Trail tablets with Android to start as low as $150.
Windows-based Bay Trail tablets have already been announced by Dell, Toshiba, Asustek Computer and Hewlett-Packard. Bay Trail chips are expected to provide more than eight hours of battery life. The chips are capable of better graphics than previous chips code-named Clover Trail.
The first Bay Trail tablets will have only 32-bit versions of Windows 8.1. The first 64-bit tablets will come in the first quarter of next year, Intel has said.
Krzanich recognized the importance of the tablet market and said the company needs to accelerate growth in the area as PC shipments slump. Intel is also trying to push its fourth-generation Core processors code-named Haswell into tablets and hybrids. Microsoft's Surface Pro 2 tablet, which ships on Oct. 21, runs on the Haswell processor.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Security The market for application security testing is changing rapidly. Technology trends, such as mobile applications, advanced Web applications and dynamic languages, are forcing...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Processors White Papers | Webcasts