New Twitter feature opens direct message floodgates
Spammers, rejoice! A new opt-in setting lets anyone send you a direct message on Twitter.
TechHive - If you keep a close eye on your Twitter settings, you probably noticed a new option pop up Monday night: "Receive direct messages from any follower."
Twitter is quietly rolling out a new opt-in feature that lets anyone send you a direct message. In the past, people could only message you privately if you followed them and they followed you. The new setting, first noticed by business marketer Jim Connolly, is turned off by default, but you can turn it on by checking a box.
The tool is particularly useful for journalists who regularly need to message people they don't know. The DM lockdown made it difficult to reach out to strangers on back channels.
Not everyone is pleased about the change, though. After Connolly tweeted about the new setting, a flood of followers responded with a common complaint: Spam. Not that the new feature is encouraging spam -- it's still too soon to tell -- but spammers who can message anyone will likely take advantage.
This isn't the first time Twitter has experimented with the settings on direct messages. In 2011, Twitter gave a "limited number of accounts" the ability to see DMs from people they don't follow. At the time, it was thought that the feature was rolled out to all verified accounts, but that turned out to be false.
Twitter hasn't said why they added the new feature. If you turn on the setting and notice it's being abused by bots, then just turn it right back off.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!