New Twitter feature opens direct message floodgates
Spammers, rejoice! A new opt-in setting lets anyone send you a direct message on Twitter.
TechHive - If you keep a close eye on your Twitter settings, you probably noticed a new option pop up Monday night: "Receive direct messages from any follower."
Twitter is quietly rolling out a new opt-in feature that lets anyone send you a direct message. In the past, people could only message you privately if you followed them and they followed you. The new setting, first noticed by business marketer Jim Connolly, is turned off by default, but you can turn it on by checking a box.
The tool is particularly useful for journalists who regularly need to message people they don't know. The DM lockdown made it difficult to reach out to strangers on back channels.
Not everyone is pleased about the change, though. After Connolly tweeted about the new setting, a flood of followers responded with a common complaint: Spam. Not that the new feature is encouraging spam -- it's still too soon to tell -- but spammers who can message anyone will likely take advantage.
This isn't the first time Twitter has experimented with the settings on direct messages. In 2011, Twitter gave a "limited number of accounts" the ability to see DMs from people they don't follow. At the time, it was thought that the feature was rolled out to all verified accounts, but that turned out to be false.
Twitter hasn't said why they added the new feature. If you turn on the setting and notice it's being abused by bots, then just turn it right back off.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!