New Twitter feature opens direct message floodgates
Spammers, rejoice! A new opt-in setting lets anyone send you a direct message on Twitter.
TechHive - If you keep a close eye on your Twitter settings, you probably noticed a new option pop up Monday night: "Receive direct messages from any follower."
Twitter is quietly rolling out a new opt-in feature that lets anyone send you a direct message. In the past, people could only message you privately if you followed them and they followed you. The new setting, first noticed by business marketer Jim Connolly, is turned off by default, but you can turn it on by checking a box.
The tool is particularly useful for journalists who regularly need to message people they don't know. The DM lockdown made it difficult to reach out to strangers on back channels.
Not everyone is pleased about the change, though. After Connolly tweeted about the new setting, a flood of followers responded with a common complaint: Spam. Not that the new feature is encouraging spam -- it's still too soon to tell -- but spammers who can message anyone will likely take advantage.
This isn't the first time Twitter has experimented with the settings on direct messages. In 2011, Twitter gave a "limited number of accounts" the ability to see DMs from people they don't follow. At the time, it was thought that the feature was rolled out to all verified accounts, but that turned out to be false.
Twitter hasn't said why they added the new feature. If you turn on the setting and notice it's being abused by bots, then just turn it right back off.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- SANS: Protecting Virtual Endpoints with McAfee Server Security Suite Essentials SANS review of McAfees Server Security Suite Essentials that address some of the emerging challenges of securing virtual platforms and cloud environments.
- Safeguarding the Next-Generation Data Center Use of virtual and cloud servers has exploded. Unfortunately, security often lags behind. McAfee recommends looking at innovative solutions in order to erect...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever. All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts