Sony starts U.S. sales of SmartWatch 2, and Xperia Z Ultra and Z1 smartphones
Unlocked and waterproof Sony smartphones are priced from $650; SmartWatch 2 costs $200
Computerworld - Sony Tuesday began selling its unlocked and waterproof Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 smartphones in the U.S., as well as its $200 SmartWatch 2.
The three products are all listed as available now for pre-order at Sony's online store. The delivery date remains uncertain, although Sony did say the products are now available at some select retailers that it didn't identify.
The 6.4-in. Z Ultra sells for $649.99 for an HSPA+ wireless model, and $679.99 for an LTE wireless model in black, white or purple. The 6-in. Xperia Z1 sells for $669.99 over HSPA+ in the same colors only.
The second-generation SmartWatch 2, which sports a 1.6-in. display, is priced at $199.95. The new device costs $100 less than Samsung's first generation Galaxy Gear smartwatch.
The Samsung watch must be paired with some Galaxy smartphones from Samsung. Smartwatch 2 can pair with any Android 4.0 and later smartphone, according to Sony.
The Z Ultra, the only waterproof smartphone with a full HD display, is also large in size, if slim. At 7.06 x 3.62. x 0.25 in. and 7.5 ounces, it ranks larger than several large smartphone and phablet devices while nearly the same size of many smaller tablets.
Z Ultra runs Android 4.2 and features a 2.2 GHz Qualcomm quad core processor. It also supports writing and sketching on the display using a pencil and some select styluses and pens. An 8 megapixel rear camera is matched with a 2 megapixel front camera.
The full specs are on the Sony Web site.
The Z1 is bolstered by a 20.7 megapixel rear camera and a 2 megapixel front camera. It also runs Android 4.2 and a 2.2 GHz Qualcomm Quad Core processor.
Overall, the Z1 is 5.68 x 2.9 x 0.33 inches and weighs nearly 6 ounces. A full range of specs are on the Sony Web site.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts