Sony starts U.S. sales of SmartWatch 2, and Xperia Z Ultra and Z1 smartphones
Unlocked and waterproof Sony smartphones are priced from $650; SmartWatch 2 costs $200
Computerworld - Sony Tuesday began selling its unlocked and waterproof Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 smartphones in the U.S., as well as its $200 SmartWatch 2.
The three products are all listed as available now for pre-order at Sony's online store. The delivery date remains uncertain, although Sony did say the products are now available at some select retailers that it didn't identify.
The 6.4-in. Z Ultra sells for $649.99 for an HSPA+ wireless model, and $679.99 for an LTE wireless model in black, white or purple. The 6-in. Xperia Z1 sells for $669.99 over HSPA+ in the same colors only.
The second-generation SmartWatch 2, which sports a 1.6-in. display, is priced at $199.95. The new device costs $100 less than Samsung's first generation Galaxy Gear smartwatch.
The Samsung watch must be paired with some Galaxy smartphones from Samsung. Smartwatch 2 can pair with any Android 4.0 and later smartphone, according to Sony.
The Z Ultra, the only waterproof smartphone with a full HD display, is also large in size, if slim. At 7.06 x 3.62. x 0.25 in. and 7.5 ounces, it ranks larger than several large smartphone and phablet devices while nearly the same size of many smaller tablets.
Z Ultra runs Android 4.2 and features a 2.2 GHz Qualcomm quad core processor. It also supports writing and sketching on the display using a pencil and some select styluses and pens. An 8 megapixel rear camera is matched with a 2 megapixel front camera.
The full specs are on the Sony Web site.
The Z1 is bolstered by a 20.7 megapixel rear camera and a 2 megapixel front camera. It also runs Android 4.2 and a 2.2 GHz Qualcomm Quad Core processor.
Overall, the Z1 is 5.68 x 2.9 x 0.33 inches and weighs nearly 6 ounces. A full range of specs are on the Sony Web site.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Keeping UP with Mobile Trendsetters Global survey tracks achievements and challenges of mobile initiatives along with best practices for success.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!