Twitter experiments with 'Event Parrot' -- a news delivery service
An experimental account appeared on the site to send news-related direct messages
IDG News Service - Twitter is known to experiment with new features to give its users more ways to find and follow content. Here's what appears to be the latest: a news delivery service.
A new account called "Event Parrot" appeared on the site at least several hours ago. The account, which identifies itself as a Twitter experiment, is designed to send direct messages to its followers to "help you keep up with what's happening in the world."
Twitter declined to comment on the account, or clarify when exactly it was created. But with more than 14,000 followers as of press time, it is already gaining some traction.
The Event Parrot account introduced itself in a tweet Thursday morning, which read: "Hello world. So happy to keep in the know about what's happening in the world."
The account gained a verified check mark during the morning, which is something that Twitter gives to the accounts of certain prominent individuals and brands to establish their authenticity.
Signs point to the account being a Twitter-run experiment. "A common thread across recent releases has been experimentation," Twitter said in a September blog post on the topic of experiments. "We've tested various features with small groups of our 200 million users before determining what we'll release."
Twitter has been doing more experiments in recent months, the company said, so much so that it's rare for a day to go by that it does not release at least one experiment.
How the Event Parrot account is supposed to work, however, is less clear. Some reports have cited the delivery of direct messages involving world news like 2013 Nobel Prize announcements, or the kidnapping of Libya's prime minister. How Twitter will decide which news might be more relevant for which people isn't clear.
Event Parrot is a curious experiment for Twitter because many of its users already use the site to gather news from their contacts and news organizations.
The most recent Twitter experiment to be turned into a full-fledged feature was its Magic Recs account. That account is designed to notify users of certain tweets or contacts that Twitter determines would be of interest to them, based on the people in their network.
- 5 Twitter clients for Linux
- Twitter brings the data back in-house with Gnip buy
- Twitter crashed -- again -- on Tuesday
- Twitter's slipping user growth spooks investors
- Get ready to tweet your questions for Twitter's first earnings call
- Super Bowl sets Twitter record, as Volkswagen launches social war room
- Perspective: Twitter's success opens up IPO pipeline
- Update: Twitter goes public at $45 a share
- With IPO cash influx, Twitter could be bigger threat to Facebook
- Ahead of IPO, Twitter shines up multimedia image
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!