Apple to reveal new iPads Oct. 22
Reports by AllThingD tech blog and others peg the launch event as in sync with 2012's debut of iPad Mini
Computerworld - Apple will introduce new iPad tablets on Oct. 22, the Wall Street Journal's AllThingsD technology blog reported Tuesday.
The date was no surprise, as it synced with the unveiling of the fourth-generation iPad and iPad Mini in 2012.
Last year, Apple rolled out new tablets on Tuesday, Oct. 23, kicking off an upswing in sales, particularly of the lower-priced and smaller iPad Mini. That same day in 2013 is Tuesday, Oct. 22, two weeks from yesterday.
AllThingsD cited sources it said were familiar with Apple's plans, adding that the event, like virtually all product debuts by the company, will be invite-only.
Several weeks ago, the Current Editorials blog had named the Oct. 22 date.
Most pundits and analysts expect that the fifth-generation 9.7-in. iPad will be slightly thinner and lighter than its predecessor, boast an improved camera and feature the Apple-designed 64-bit A7 system-on-a-chip (SoC), or a slight variation of the A7 that first appeared in the iPhone 5S last month. 2012's fourth-generation iPad, for instance, relied on the A6X SoC, while the iPhone 5, which led it by only weeks, used the A6.
Although betting types have also wagered that Apple will trot out a second-generation iPad Mini -- one with a Retina-quality display to make it a resolution match for its full-sized sibling -- those rumors have been more muted. Analysts have split, with some believing in an October debut for the new Mini, along with a price reduction of the current model, while others, such as Brian White of Cantor Fitzgerald & Co., have cited Asian sources pointing to a later launch, perhaps in early 2014.
Also on the schedule for the Oct. 22 event, speculated AllThingsD, were OS X Mavericks and the reworked Mac Pro, an unusual cylindrical desktop system. Current Editorials claimed that Apple would introduce refreshed MacBook Pro notebooks and a new Mac Mini.
Mavericks, the successor to 2012's Mountain Lion, will go on sale Oct. 23 if Apple hews to the timing it's used the last two years for desktop operating system upgrades.
Assuming Apple follows its usual practice, it will issue invitations to the iPad launch event on Tuesday, Oct. 15.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- iOS 8 split-screen hints at iPad's enterprise ambition
- Office for iPad apps ring up 27M downloads
- Apple reclaims J.D. Power's top tablet satisfaction prize
- Samsung tablets grab market share from Apple's iPad
- As iPad sales slump, Cook hijacks analysts' fast-uptake explanation
- The iPad's expected ebb, and the search for why
- iPad sales skew even more toward Mini
- Apple's Mac ends up in tablet cannibal pot, too
- The case for an iPad Pro
- Is Apple's 13-in. iPad a desktop for kids?
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts