Apple's Schiller, Forstall set to testify in retrial over Samsung damages
The retrial may restore part of a $1B patent award to Apple that was later cut to $450M
IDG News Service - Apple and Samsung Electronics will return to a Silicon Valley federal court on Nov. 12 for a retrial of their billion-dollar 2012 patent battle, and Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller may come back to testify.
Apple won $1.05 billion in damages in the case, but Judge Lucy Koh later cut about $450 million from that award because of errors by the jury. The retrial, again before Koh in the U.S. District Court in San Jose, could restore some of those damages.
On Friday, the two sides filed a joint pretrial statement and lists of potential witnesses they may call. Apple's list includes Phil Schiller, the company's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, and Scott Forstall, the former senior vice president of iOS software. Forstall's departure was announced last October following the widely criticized launch of Apple Maps, which some observers said may have led to his firing. Both Schiller and Forstall also testified in the original trial.
Also on the Apple witness list is Susan Kare, who designed some of the icons for Apple's original Macintosh in the 1980s.
The new trial will only cover the damages in the case. Apple's award now stands at $598.9 billion for Samsung's infringement of its patents in 14 Android products. Apple will seek to get back some of the original damages that Koh removed.
The case is just one of many around the world in which Apple and Samsung are fighting over hardware and software patents on smartphones and tablets and the software they run.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts