Apple's Schiller, Forstall set to testify in retrial over Samsung damages
The retrial may restore part of a $1B patent award to Apple that was later cut to $450M
IDG News Service - Apple and Samsung Electronics will return to a Silicon Valley federal court on Nov. 12 for a retrial of their billion-dollar 2012 patent battle, and Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller may come back to testify.
Apple won $1.05 billion in damages in the case, but Judge Lucy Koh later cut about $450 million from that award because of errors by the jury. The retrial, again before Koh in the U.S. District Court in San Jose, could restore some of those damages.
On Friday, the two sides filed a joint pretrial statement and lists of potential witnesses they may call. Apple's list includes Phil Schiller, the company's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, and Scott Forstall, the former senior vice president of iOS software. Forstall's departure was announced last October following the widely criticized launch of Apple Maps, which some observers said may have led to his firing. Both Schiller and Forstall also testified in the original trial.
Also on the Apple witness list is Susan Kare, who designed some of the icons for Apple's original Macintosh in the 1980s.
The new trial will only cover the damages in the case. Apple's award now stands at $598.9 billion for Samsung's infringement of its patents in 14 Android products. Apple will seek to get back some of the original damages that Koh removed.
The case is just one of many around the world in which Apple and Samsung are fighting over hardware and software patents on smartphones and tablets and the software they run.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts