Instagram says ads are on the way
Users in the U.S. will start to see ads in the next couple of months
IDG News Service - Ads are coming to Instagram in the next couple of months, the photo- and video-sharing app maker said Thursday.
Starting out, users in the U.S. may see an occasional ad in their feeds, the company announced.
The ads will come as both photos and videos and will be from brands that users do not follow, Instagram said.
Instagram said it will start rolling out the ads slowly, "from a handful of brands that are already great members of the Instagram community."
A spokeswoman for Instagram declined to comment further or to say which brands would be coming on first.
The aim, according to Instagram, is to have the ads feel as natural as the photos and videos coming from the brands that people do follow.
Instagram's clean interface and processing filters have helped to make it one of the most prominent photo-sharing apps. Facebook bought it for about $1 billion last year, when the app reportedly had little or no revenue.
Instagram claims to have 150 million members, and it may risk losing some of them if it clogs their feeds with ads.
Still, some saw the move as inevitable as Instagram tries to monetize its service. In July, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg was asked during the company's quarterly earnings call whether people would start seeing ads in their Instagram feeds.
His answer: Probably yes, in time.
Instagram said there would be controls for users to hide ads they don't like and to provide feedback to the company.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts