Instagram says ads are on the way
Users in the U.S. will start to see ads in the next couple of months
IDG News Service - Ads are coming to Instagram in the next couple of months, the photo- and video-sharing app maker said Thursday.
Starting out, users in the U.S. may see an occasional ad in their feeds, the company announced.
The ads will come as both photos and videos and will be from brands that users do not follow, Instagram said.
Instagram said it will start rolling out the ads slowly, "from a handful of brands that are already great members of the Instagram community."
A spokeswoman for Instagram declined to comment further or to say which brands would be coming on first.
The aim, according to Instagram, is to have the ads feel as natural as the photos and videos coming from the brands that people do follow.
Instagram's clean interface and processing filters have helped to make it one of the most prominent photo-sharing apps. Facebook bought it for about $1 billion last year, when the app reportedly had little or no revenue.
Instagram claims to have 150 million members, and it may risk losing some of them if it clogs their feeds with ads.
Still, some saw the move as inevitable as Instagram tries to monetize its service. In July, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg was asked during the company's quarterly earnings call whether people would start seeing ads in their Instagram feeds.
His answer: Probably yes, in time.
Instagram said there would be controls for users to hide ads they don't like and to provide feedback to the company.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Warning: Cloud Data at Risk Experts agree that relying on SaaS vendors to backup and restore your data is dangerous. Yet that's exactly what huge portions of the...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!