Box pages developers: Give healthcare industry a shot of innovation
Box and two partners are sponsoring a developer competition for apps that improve patient communication and education
IDG News Service - To inject variety, volume and quality into health applications, Box has teamed up with Dignity Health and The Social+Capital Partnership on a developer contest.
The competing apps must be built for the Box platform and help doctors and hospitals improve the way they communicate with and educate patients, Box said on Wednesday.
Participants can sign up now. They will get access to developer tools and services from Twilio, Tokbox, Parse and Firebase.
Developers have until Jan. 10 next year to submit their apps for consideration. The first-place winner gets a $100,000 convertible note, as well as mentorship and one month of office space from The Social+Capital Partnership, a Palo Alto, California, venture capital firm.
Box will also feature the winning app on its Apps Marketplace and put marketing and sales muscle behind it. The developer will be able to pitch it to Dignity Health.
The judges will be former White House CTO Aneesh Chopra; Ted Maidenberg, general partner at The Social+Capital Partnership; Richard Roth, vice president of strategic innovation at Dignity Health; and Box CEO Aaron Levie.
The developer competition is the latest move by Box in the health vertical market, which it has identified as a priority for its cloud storage and file sharing system.
In April, the company announced it had hired an external auditor to certify that it complies with U.S. federal government data-protection regulations in HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) and its HITECH (Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health) complement, and that it had obtained the certifications.
Box has also started signing Business Associate Agreements (BAAs), in which it agrees to assume responsibility and potential liability for the work and products of its partners involved in a deal.
Back then, Box also said it had struck deals with 10 healthcare application vendors whose software products are now integrated with the Box platform, and on Wednesday it announced that it has 13 new partners that make applications for electronic health records, imaging, workflow automation and access to care.
Since the April announcement, Box has doubled its sales to its hundreds of healthcare customers, which include new ones like SSM Health Care, Tri-Counties Regional Center, Cyberonics, and Safety Management Systems.
As part of its push into healthcare, Box is pursuing deals with physicians, hospitals, clinics, laboratories and medical insurers, explaining how they can securely store on its cloud system items like patient records, medical images, videos, clinical trial notes and other documents for easier sharing and collaboration.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Whitepaper: 10 Critical Requirements of a Successful Cloud Application Growing interest in cloud computing has prompted almost every enterprise software vendor to claim it's "in the cloud." However, in the industry's rush...
- Whitepaper: The Real SaaS Manifesto This whitepaper defines the key terms every company should know, understand, and evaluate when considering a SaaS vendor for their business.
- Whitepaper: Real CIOs of the Cloud As cloud computing becomes the dominant technology of this decade, today's CIOs are the catalysts for change. This whitepaper published by Techweb features...
- Whitepaper: The Continuous Innovation Advantage of SaaS This report defines the next generation system of record, outlining the changes and challenges with current technology and how continuous innovation has become...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All SaaS White Papers | Webcasts