BlackBerry confirms abysmal Q2 results
BlackBerry executives cancelled a conference call to discuss the results following the acquisition bid from Fairfax Financial Holdings
IDG News Service - BlackBerry confirmed on Friday its $965 million net operating loss in the second quarter, following low interest in the Z10 smartphone.
Revenue for the company's second quarter, which ended on Aug. 31, was approximately $1.6 billion, down 45% from the same period a year earlier. Both the operating loss and the revenue were in line with preliminary results released last week.
The last week has been a busy one for BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins and his colleagues. In addition to the bombshell of its preliminary results, the company also announced around 4,500 lay-offs and cuts to the number of phone models it sells from six to four: two high-end and two entry-level phones aimed at the enterprise and "prosumer" market. Then on Monday it revealed it was preparing to sell the company to Fairfax Financial Holdings.
Although Blackberry has confirmed the financial results, "There is still a great degree of uncertainty," said analyst Geoff Blaber, director of devices and platforms at CCS Insight. "There is still an awful lot to happen following the Fairfax offer. The biggest element of uncertainty is what the new private company will become. My bet is it will be an enterprise service company, and devices are unlikely to be a part of that."
Originally, the company had scheduled a webcast and conference call with management on Friday to discuss the results, but those events were cancelled on Wednesday following the deal with Fairfax. However, BlackBerry plans to publish consolidated financial statements and a management discussion and analysis of results for its second quarter next week.
The postponement highlights the uncertainty surrounding the bid from Fairfax, Blaber said. "On an earnings call BlackBerry would expect to field a large number of questions on exactly that, and at the moment it can't answer them."
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!