Microsoft's SkyDrive stumbles, becomes latest glitchy cloud app
The problems with Microsoft's cloud storage service come a day after rival Google's Gmail app shut down
IDG News Service - Another day, another cloud app gets stung by a bug. Microsoft's SkyDrive cloud storage service began malfunctioning on Tuesday afternoon, a day after Google's Gmail got tripped by a network breakdown.
"SkyDrive is having problems accessing and modifying files. You might not be able to view, change, upload, or delete files," read an alert on the Live Status site, where Microsoft displays the current availability of several consumer online services.
The notice went up at 4 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time and doesn't offer details about the cause or scope of the problem.
Microsoft didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
SkyDrive plays the critical role of cloud-based storage service in many Microsoft products, including operating systems like Windows 8, devices like Surface tablets, and online and desktop applications like those in Office.
Just Monday, Microsoft announced a new 200GB SkyDrive plan that is now available for purchase or comes bundled at no extra cost with the new Surface 2 tablets.
In May, Microsoft announced that SkyDrive had exceeded the 250 million-user mark.
So far, the week isn't shaping up to be a good one for cloud apps.
On Monday, Google wrestled for much of the morning and afternoon with a persistent network-related bug that affected almost half of Gmail's active users, of which there were more than 425 million last year.
For about 10 hours, affected Gmail users suffered delivery delays and difficulty downloading attachments. It was one of the longest, most widespread Gmail disruptions in years.
The issue affected individuals who use the free version of Gmail, as well as businesses, schools and government agencies that pay for it as part of the Google Apps cloud collaboration and email suite.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts