Microsoft's SkyDrive stumbles, becomes latest glitchy cloud app
The problems with Microsoft's cloud storage service come a day after rival Google's Gmail app shut down
IDG News Service - Another day, another cloud app gets stung by a bug. Microsoft's SkyDrive cloud storage service began malfunctioning on Tuesday afternoon, a day after Google's Gmail got tripped by a network breakdown.
"SkyDrive is having problems accessing and modifying files. You might not be able to view, change, upload, or delete files," read an alert on the Live Status site, where Microsoft displays the current availability of several consumer online services.
The notice went up at 4 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time and doesn't offer details about the cause or scope of the problem.
Microsoft didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
SkyDrive plays the critical role of cloud-based storage service in many Microsoft products, including operating systems like Windows 8, devices like Surface tablets, and online and desktop applications like those in Office.
Just Monday, Microsoft announced a new 200GB SkyDrive plan that is now available for purchase or comes bundled at no extra cost with the new Surface 2 tablets.
In May, Microsoft announced that SkyDrive had exceeded the 250 million-user mark.
So far, the week isn't shaping up to be a good one for cloud apps.
On Monday, Google wrestled for much of the morning and afternoon with a persistent network-related bug that affected almost half of Gmail's active users, of which there were more than 425 million last year.
For about 10 hours, affected Gmail users suffered delivery delays and difficulty downloading attachments. It was one of the longest, most widespread Gmail disruptions in years.
The issue affected individuals who use the free version of Gmail, as well as businesses, schools and government agencies that pay for it as part of the Google Apps cloud collaboration and email suite.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Cloud Computing eGuide In this eGuide, CIO, Computerworld, and InfoWorld offer advice, tips, news, and predictions regarding cloud implementations in the coming year and beyond. Read...
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- IDC: Eliminate Shortcomings in Your Cloud Architecture with Smarter Storage This white paper demonstrates how IBM Smarter Storage provides customers with an ideal, proven platform for cloud computing. IBM has a differentiated storage...
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT...
- Leveraging the Cloud for Dev/Test This video discusses some of the key considerations that IT organizations should take into account when moving test and development projects to the... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts