Offshore IT service providers are the leading users of L-1 visas
Computerworld - The IEEE-USA is calling for reform of the L-1 visa program following the release of a government report that identified offshore IT service providers as the biggest users of the visa.
In the report, the inspector general of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said that some of the L-1 visa program's rules are vague and the program is vulnerable to fraud and abuse.
The L-1 visa allows multinational companies to transfer foreign employees into the U.S. Unlike the H-1B visa, there is no cap or prevailing wage requirement with the L-1.
The largest users of the L-1 visa are companies either based in India or with operations there, said the report, compiled at the request of Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), the Senate's leading critic of H-1B visas.
From 2002 to 2011, Tata Consultancy Services and Cognizant received nearly 26,000 and 20,000 petitions, respectively, making them the top users by far. The third-largest user was IBM India, which received 5,722 L-1 petitions.
The L-1 program has become "a tool for shipping American jobs overseas," said Marc Apter, president of the IEEE-USA, a professional organization for engineers, in a statement calling for L-1 visa reform.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Government/Industries in Computerworld's Government/Industries Topic Center.
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Time-to-Market: The Need for Speed in the Automotive Industry Bringing new vehicles to market quickly has never been more challenging. To bring new models to market on-time and on budget, automakers need...
- Patient Portals: A Platform for Connecting Communities of Care Connecting patient health data across the care continuum is essential to achieve improved care, increased access to personal health records and lowered costs.
- 3 Ways Clinicians Can Leverage a Patient Portal to Craft a Healthcare Community With a bevy of vendors offering patient portal solutions, it can be challenging for a hospital to know where to start. Fortunately, YourCareCommunity...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Government/Industries White Papers | Webcasts