Couchbase open source data store goes mobile
The JSON-based NoSQL database can work on mobile devices
IDG News Service - Couchbase is launching a version of its namesake NoSQL open source data store that can run on mobile devices, called Couchbase Lite.
It is also releasing companion products, Couchbase Sync Gateway, which synchronizes data between a mobile device and a cloud service, and Couchbase Cloud, an online sandbox for developers to try Couchbase Lite.
Developers could use Couchbase Lite to store data for their mobile applications, and use Couchbase Sync Gateway to synchronize the data with back-end supporting services, the company suggests.
JSON is particularly useful for applications that periodically send and receive a lot of data, according to the company.
Companies such as McGraw-Hill, Orbitz, LinkedIn and the Amadeus travel booking service all have used Couchbase.
There are about 2.3 million mobile application developers worldwide -- about 12.6 percent of all developers--and by 2016, that number will double to almost 5 million mobile app developers, predicted analyst firm Vision Mobile.
Couchbase announced the new products at its annual user conference Friday in San Francisco.
Couchbase Lite and Couchbase Sync Gateway are available to download, for both Android and Apple iOS devices in beta form.
The company has not announced when these products will be commercially available. Couchbase Cloud is available for immediate use.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Performance Management: The Mobile App Development Playbook This comprehensive 16 page Forrester Research, Inc. report, authored by Jeffrey Hammond, Forrester VP and Principal Analyst, details a number of valuable, commonly...
- New Problems Require Innovative Solutions The mobile market is expected to be worth $25 billion by 2015
- Getting Agnostic about Mobile Devices The idea of being able to interact with customers, prospects, and stay attuned to competitive pressures is not new, but the velocity at...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts