Couchbase open source data store goes mobile
The JSON-based NoSQL database can work on mobile devices
IDG News Service - Couchbase is launching a version of its namesake NoSQL open source data store that can run on mobile devices, called Couchbase Lite.
It is also releasing companion products, Couchbase Sync Gateway, which synchronizes data between a mobile device and a cloud service, and Couchbase Cloud, an online sandbox for developers to try Couchbase Lite.
Developers could use Couchbase Lite to store data for their mobile applications, and use Couchbase Sync Gateway to synchronize the data with back-end supporting services, the company suggests.
JSON is particularly useful for applications that periodically send and receive a lot of data, according to the company.
Companies such as McGraw-Hill, Orbitz, LinkedIn and the Amadeus travel booking service all have used Couchbase.
There are about 2.3 million mobile application developers worldwide -- about 12.6 percent of all developers--and by 2016, that number will double to almost 5 million mobile app developers, predicted analyst firm Vision Mobile.
Couchbase announced the new products at its annual user conference Friday in San Francisco.
Couchbase Lite and Couchbase Sync Gateway are available to download, for both Android and Apple iOS devices in beta form.
The company has not announced when these products will be commercially available. Couchbase Cloud is available for immediate use.
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!